•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who has some experiences with the JMI NGT-12.5?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mikoka

Mikoka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Germany

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:25 AM

Hello,

I have an offer for a  JMI NGT-12.5.

That scope was a dream-scope for me in the later 90 years of the last century.

But unfortunately much to expensiv.......

I can purchase an used one now; it should get some refreshing, but is in acceptable condition.

I would ask you, who are owners and users of that scope, now or in the past, for some experiences

with this scope (handling, observing of deep sky objekts , planets and the moon).

I hope, that these experiences will help me to make my decision to buy it or not.

Thank you very much and best regards   Michael

#2 randcpoll

randcpoll

Messenger

• Loc: New York

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:48 AM

As you noted, the technology is ancient by today's standards. However, I had the chance to use one in Australia for a while 15+ years ago. I thought it was a marvelous instrument with nice, sharp stars and excellent tracking. As a Newtonian it is easy to collimate. It was a bit power hungry, but if you have AC available that is not a problem. Even unguided I got some beautiful images on film with that scope even though focusing wasn't perfect. Here is one greatly reduced for CN.

Attached Thumbnails

• lagoon1-small.jpg

#3 Mikoka

Mikoka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:28 AM

Oh, thank you very much for your replie, randcpoll,

if I purchase it, I will use it for visual observing mainly.

Very nice picture  :-)

Best regards  Michael

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

Having tracking will allow you to use narrower field eyepieces, at much higher powers, than using a simple dob on an alt-az mount without tracking.

From that standpoint, it is important to become expert in collimation, mirror cooling, and polar alignment, because the instrument is capable of magnifications up to 600-700x in a wind-free environment.

I also recommend a coma corrector if the scope is f/5 or shorter to yield better star images--especially if using wide, ultrawide, or hyperwide eyepieces.

#5 Mikoka

Mikoka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:15 AM

Hi Don,

thank you very much - sounds pretty good.

regards  Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics