•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Portable power pack as a hanging tripod weight

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:00 PM

Surely I’m not the only one who has thought of this. Is there anyone out there who hangs a heavy power pack from the bottom of a tripod to weigh it down? If so, how did you do it?

I’m using the stock Alt/Az mount that came with my Celestron 6 SE. I’ve kept the tripod legs as short as I reasonably can. I can’t go too low because I’ll be lying on the ground just to look through my Rigel finder. I also use vibration suppression pads. Nothing seems to help.

Last year, when I commented on CN about how my scope vibrates and shakes at the slightest movement (I can barely breathe on it!), someone said the tripod is the weak point. Upgrading to a CPC 1100 tripod will be $440, which I don’t want to do. Someone recommended hanging a heavy weight from the stock tripod.

The Harbor Freight power pack that I just bought would be a perfect weight. But I’ll have to get creative in figuring out how to do this, unless I just use a short piece of rope. Curious to see if others have done a similar thing, or if you even use weights in the first place.

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:13 PM

For a Celestron 6SE might be better to hang a 10-20 lbs weight under the tripod center and Velcro a TalenCell from Amazon  to the side arm to power the mount.  

Edited by Xeroid, 25 July 2021 - 01:02 PM.

• Bean614 likes this

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:23 PM

Hi your old thread does ring a bell with me vaguely!.however I’m suprised your not happy with the mount and without being disrespectful to you sounds like a slight exaggeration in blowing on the mount.if I recall and if my memory serves me correctly did your last post last year mention the image dancing all over the place in the eyepiece!?.also to note I cannot see the talencell battery pack adding any additional support to the tripod or rigidity either just no weight there.

#4 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

You can likely do that.  I would use one of those small reusable plastic fiber (polypropylene?) grocery bags.  Hang it as close to the center line as you can, and either hang it high, or so low that it just touches the ground, to avoid motion.

But I'm curious as to how you're getting that much movement in the first place.  I had a 6SE for several years, and also tried my C8 on the mount.  The 8" was way too shaky, but the 6" was steady on mine (for visual, with stock diagonal and no eyepiece over ~20 g).  I'm sure you are using the accessory tray and that everything is snugged tight, but could there be another connection that's loose?

Surely I’m not the only one who has thought of this. Is there anyone out there who hangs a heavy power pack from the bottom of a tripod to weigh it down? If so, how did you do it?

I’m using the stock Alt/Az mount that came with my Celestron 6 SE. I’ve kept the tripod legs as short as I reasonably can. I can’t go too low because I’ll be lying on the ground just to look through my Rigel finder. I also use vibration suppression pads. Nothing seems to help.

Last year, when I commented on CN about how my scope vibrates and shakes at the slightest movement (I can barely breathe on it!), someone said the tripod is the weak point. Upgrading to a CPC 1100 tripod will be $440, which I don’t want to do. Someone recommended hanging a heavy weight from the stock tripod.

The Harbor Freight power pack that I just bought would be a perfect weight. But I’ll have to get creative in figuring out how to do this, unless I just use a short piece of rope. Curious to see if others have done a similar thing, or if you even use weights in the first place.

#5 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:22 PM

Hi all,
Yes, I was exaggerating about blowing on it and causing it to vibrate (so much for attempting a sense of humor). However, a few weeks ago when it was breezy outside, it definitely vibrated the scope and caused the star in the eyepiece to dance around. I did have a 9x50 finderscope attached, and obviously it gets worse as I add binoviewers.

As far as power, I already use a TalentCell, attached with Velcro to the mount. That’s not the weight I’m talking about. In the future, if I buy a dew control system, it will require power connected through a cigarette lighter adapter, which the heavier Harbor Freight power pack would provide. That’s what I was thinking about suspending from the center of my mount.

I have the eyepiece tray and all nuts/bolts tightened as much as I can.

#6 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

I use a Vanguard SB-100 Stone Bag I bought on Amazon. Excellent low placement and pretty strong. 

Mike

#7 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:54 PM

I use a Vanguard SB-100 Stone Bag I bought on Amazon. Excellent low placement and pretty strong.
Mike

That’s a great idea, thanks!

#8 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

Hi all,
Yes, I was exaggerating about blowing on it and causing it to vibrate (so much for attempting a sense of humor). However, a few weeks ago when it was breezy outside, it definitely vibrated the scope and caused the star in the eyepiece to dance around. I did have a 9x50 finderscope attached, and obviously it gets worse as I add binoviewers.

As far as power, I already use a TalentCell, attached with Velcro to the mount. That’s not the weight I’m talking about. In the future, if I buy a dew control system, it will require power connected through a cigarette lighter adapter, which the heavier Harbor Freight power pack would provide. That’s what I was thinking about suspending from the center of my mount.

Lol there is nothing wrong in having a sense of humour! We all are not that ridged however tho it does help to be specific in the details.well unfortunately that’s the norm in a scope of any size or price unless you have it housed in a observatory of some description,even if you upgraded the tripod yes it might reduce vibration times slightly only minuscule tho so in that respect you will be living on hopes and dreams there!.its the OTA or telescope tube which is effected When even a gentle breeze hits  and is even more noticeable at higher power ranges and the whole object at times can move outside the feild of view of the eyepiece,then after a few seconds or so the image starts to settle again.

Edited by Supernova74, 25 July 2021 - 03:08 PM.

#9 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:14 PM

Here is my setup with the battery pack for a tripod weight. As soon as we get clear skies (sometime in in 2023?), I’ll give it a try and see if it reduces vibrations. It’s suspended, not sitting on the floor. 

Attached Thumbnails

• FC988AD6-2498-4EBB-AECC-9CED8F68779C.jpeg

#10 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

Here is my setup with the battery pack for a tripod weight. As soon as we get clear skies (sometime in in 2023?), I’ll give it a try and see if it reduces vibrations. It’s suspended, not sitting on the floor. 

It may help however don,t try to build your exspections to high I have a Meade giant feild tripod and that weighs in at 50lbs with 3” stainless steel legs with a Meade 12”ACF sct you cannot prevent the image shifting in the feild of view at higher powers with a breeze hitting the OTA even happens with my scope from time to time.so unfortunately your trying to fix something that can never be fixed.

#11 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

The real solution is a better mount. Ed Ting of scopereviews.com writes about how so many of us are obsessed with the scope but as you advance it's more about the mount. waytogo.gif

Edited by sevenofnine, 25 July 2021 - 03:26 PM.

• lakeorion likes this

#12 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:10 PM

try mounting the rigel finder on the front of the tube :-)  It'll be easier to get behind then :-)

#13 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:10 PM

try mounting the rigel finder on the front of the tube :-)  It'll be easier to get behind then :-)

#14 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:19 AM

I tried the configuration shown in my previous photo last night, and it worked well for reducing the shakes. Having the extra weight hanging from the tripod, combined with retracting the tripod legs, really made a difference. I know a better mount would be good, but I can’t spend $430 right now for a CPC1100 mount. I’m just posting this for anyone else who might face a similar problem and needs an economical solution to reducing vibrations on the stock SE alt/az tripod.

#15 mannys

mannys

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:21 PM

Hi all,

Hi jjbroomco, may I ask what specific TalentCell battery do you use? Thanks!

#16 jjbroomco

jjbroomco

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:27 PM

Hi jjbroomco, may I ask what specific TalentCell battery do you use? Thanks!

Sure! I believe it’s this one. It keeps the scope powered up for at least 2 nights of viewing. It’s been great.

https://www.amazon.c... battery&sr=8-3

#17 mannys

mannys

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:38 PM

Sure! I believe it’s this one. It keeps the scope powered up for at least 2 nights of viewing. It’s been great.

https://www.amazon.c... battery&sr=8-3

Great, thanks! 

Edited by mannys, 27 July 2021 - 03:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics