•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrading an Orion xx12g

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

My Xx12g already works fine. But, if I wanted to upgrade my scope at some point, could I swap in a premium primary, premium secondary and a premium focuser?

If I did so, would that give it performance similar to a true premium dobsonian in terms of better views? And, do you think these upgrades would be worth it?

#2 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:16 PM

Just my humble opinion but for me the answer would be no. It would be like trying to turn a standard model Camaro into a high performance Corvette by changing the engine, transmission, and steering wheel. If you really want a premium custom dob then I suggest buying one on the used market. As can be found in almost every similar topic, they come up all the time in the classifieds and are well worth the wait. The money spent on a premium mirror, secondary, and focuser would almost if not fully pay for a nice used premium dob.

Edited by cuzimthedad, 25 July 2021 - 01:32 PM.

• Bill Jensen, GeneT, Augustus and 1 other like this

#3 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:33 PM

Just my humble opinion but for me the answer would be no. It would be like trying to turn a standard model Camaro into a high performance Corvette by changing the engine, transmission, and steering wheel. If you really want a premium custom dob then I suggest buying one on the used market. As can be found in almost every similar topic, they come up all the time in the classifieds and are well worth the wait. The money spent on a premium mirror, secondary, and focuser would almost if not fully pay for a nice premium dob.

+1 to what Dan just outlined. 

For example, the 14.5 inch Starmaster dob I purchased last month cost me less than purchasing a new Zambuto mirror, new secondary, and a new Feathertouch focuser individually. True, I have components that are used, but they were in good shape. Plus I have a nice Starmaster assembly including a drive and DSCs. I didn't have to wait 18 months for the mirror to be made. (Zambuto's current quoted waiting period). 

Your mirror may actually be very good. Have you tried star testing it once the optics are at ambient, and the seeing is decent? The 10 inch GSO mirror in my Teeter is actually very good. Rob Teeter tested the scope before I purchased it. While I have recently purchased a Zambuto 10 inch quartz mirror to replace the GSO mirror, I probably won't notice much of a difference at the eyepiece, given my mediocre seeing here in the MidAtlantic. 

A premium scope to me is more than just a few premium components. The "whole" is greater than the parts, in the way it handles, and just gets out of the way. 

If you like your Orion XX12G, then I would use the heck out of it! smile.gif

• Augustus and Astro-Master like this

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:37 PM

Like others have said, buying a good used premium scope is the way to go.  As many of us amateur's are in our 60's or older, many are downsizing.  I would place an ad in CN for a premium truss Dob. of 16" or more.

In the mean time, maybe get your secondary mirror tested, and upgrade to a better one if needed.  As for myself at  age 74, I have no plans to downsize from my 18" Obsession.

Good Luck and remember Good things come to those who wait.

• Bill Jensen likes this

#5 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Apollo

• Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:19 AM

Don't mess with the primary. A few years back I had an XT8P. I upgraded the secondary and focuser. Big difference, especially with the new secondary and 17 Ethos.

Wish I had kept it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics