•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion XX12g goto - level surface?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

How important is it for goto accuracy to put the base of a scope like mine on a level surface? I normally try to get it pretty level, but rarely is it perfectly level. And sometimes the goto is a bit off target despite me trying to precision align it. Is it essential to get the base absolutely as level as possible?

If so, what’s the best way to do it? Carry an assortment of wooden boards with me? I generally find that I’m frequently traveling to new and different locations so it’s hard to know in advance how level the surface will be.

#2 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Apollo

• Loc: Green Valley, AZ

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:21 AM

I use to just get mine close. Go-to was usually in the ep, but leveling made tracking (keeping it in the ep) better.

#3 Tdesert63

Tdesert63

Vostok 1

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:26 PM

Yes getting it level,it improves goto, tracking.I keep a small level & popcycle sticks in my ep case,

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:38 PM

".....sometimes the goto is a bit off target despite me trying to precision align"

In your Manual,  it specifically instructs that disabling the AUX Encoders will significantly improve GoTo's and Tracking. 

And leveling helps enormously. 

Edited by Bean614, 26 July 2021 - 08:40 PM.

#5 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Administrators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:15 PM

I find my SW12 (synscan) and Orion xx16g aren't too picky If I keep the out-of-levelness to a minimum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics