•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY Ascom Switch Driver

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PhilAichinger

PhilAichinger

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:40 PM

Hey guys, a weird question, Has anyone managed to create an ascom driver for an arduino switch? ive managed to add an 8 way relay to an andruino and i can get it to switch relatively easily, but im having difficulty to make a driver that is ascom compliant. im aiming to create a switch that i can load into NINA so i can automate a shut down of my system at the end of a remote imaging session. 

if anyone would be as kind to help or may have something i can potentially use or reference that would be great.

#2 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Vostok 1

• Loc: NE PA and Middle of Nowhere, AZ

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:28 AM

Welcome to CN!

Writing an ASCOM driver isn't too terribly difficult.  If you've managed to program an Arduino, you'll probably be able to come up with a driver that shuts down power by switching relays at the end of your session.

I build circuits with microcontrollers in them, but I don't use Arduino's (more of a "maker" type device), so can't help there...but I'm sure some sort of system could be brought to bear.  Have you looked at this:

http://astro.neutral...om-arduino.html

At any rate, I think you should make contact with the N.I.N.A. developer on their website...could be that someone has already done it, and they will know the details.

Edited by Jim in PA, 30 July 2021 - 12:37 AM.

#3 mklosterman1

mklosterman1

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Culpeper, VA

Posted 06 August 2021 - 08:48 PM

I just saw something similar on a youtube Channel I subscribe to “Turbo Talks Tech”. He built one and I believe has a GitHub where you can obtain the arduino sketch that should work with ASCOM. I already built the ASCOM compliant Astro flats panel that he made and use it in N.I.N.A.  Good luck. I may try to build a switch as well once I have an observatory.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics