•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

connect CGEM-DX to laptop/ASIAIR Pro w/o hand controller

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Dowling

Tommy Dowling

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Gabriel Mtns. So Cal

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

I need a USB connector to connect on the laptop or ASIAIR and something that looks like a handset connector on a telephone. The newer Nextstar hand controllers have a mini usb at the bottom, but mine has a similar to the CGEM mount's modular jack. Is it just a conversion cable or is there circuitry involved to "make them talk to each other"? Likely I may need 2 of them, a 1 meter for the ASIAIR and a 2 meter cable for the laptop. I've been researching but without success so far.

#2 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Vostok 1

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:26 PM

Tommy,

You won't be able to simply not use the HC with some circuitry.  See this link from John Schupp's facebook page.  He is also here on CN.  I was able to get his circuit to work but I had some other things I was doing that had me abandon the idea after a few runs.  Part of the issue is the HC has a bunch of circuitry and talks with the two PIC controllers inside the mount - one for each motor.

All the new HCs incorporate a USB to serial adapter.  They still assign a com port on the computer.  You need two things:  A RS232 Nexstar cable  $18 from Amazon and a USB to Serial adapter (I've used this one ~$22 from Amazon and currently available from High Point Scientific but there are many others). 

Of course you can also simply purchase a new NexStar+ HC with the USB connector and have less parts.  That's running about ~$115 though.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

I need a USB connector to connect on the laptop or ASIAIR and something that looks like a handset connector on a telephone. The newer Nextstar hand controllers have a mini usb at the bottom, but mine has a similar to the CGEM mount's modular jack. Is it just a conversion cable or is there circuitry involved to "make them talk to each other"? Likely I may need 2 of them, a 1 meter for the ASIAIR and a 2 meter cable for the laptop. I've been researching but without success so far.

There is most assuredly circuitry involved. Don't just connect an RJ cable directly to the scope; damage will likely ensue.

#4 Tommy Dowling

Tommy Dowling

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Gabriel Mtns. So Cal

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:46 PM

Thanks guys. I checked out John Shnupp's post first, very informative but more work than I'm prepared for now. I ordered the 2 cables from amazon (thanks for the links Aaron) so I should be able to safely control my mount from the laptop or ASIAIR.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics