•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Veil Nebula Second Try

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Astro Waves

Astro Waves

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:47 PM

So my first attempt at the Veil Nebula was terrible as I was only using the back of the camera because I didn't have use of my laptop but second time round different story. I know you need a lot of hours on this target but just wanted to see what I could get with the first clear night in over 2 months. Had a couple go's at editing and this is the best I can get it. Still need to work on star reduction, managed to get about 42 minutes in total usable pics and I'm super happy with it. Let me know what you think.

Redcat, iOptron Skyguider Pro, Canon 750D astro mod, Bortle 5/6 - Edinburgh, Scotland

Lights: x92 - 45secs

Darks: x20 - 45secs

Flats: x20 - 1/26secs

Biases: x50 1/4000secs

Attached Thumbnails

• Veil 500kb.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, Jim Waters, mikewayne3 and 11 others like this

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:03 PM

Nice shot!

Some nice red Ha....i am on the hunt for that but the weather does not want to cooperate...

Indeed i would try to put back the stars a bit.

#3 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:23 PM

Nice image and processing Astro Waves.

#4 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:45 PM

Is the green tint throughout the image normal?

#5 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:59 PM

Great work! You could run it through Starnet++…

#6 Astro Waves

Astro Waves

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 05:26 PM

Nice shot!

Some nice red Ha....i am on the hunt for that but the weather does not want to cooperate...

Indeed i would try to put back the stars a bit.

Thanks, I was pretty surprised with how much I was able to pull out due to the short amount of shooting time, I would like to spend a good few hours getting it properly really.

Nice image and processing Astro Waves.

Ta very much.

Is the green tint throughout the image normal?

That might just be my processing skills and not getting the white balance spot on.

Great work! You could run it through Starnet++…

I need to have a look into starnet, seen a few tutorials on it and looks interesting. 

#7 Morgar

Morgar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:18 PM

I also see the background with a blue/green tint, adjusting the black point of those colors would highlight the nebula.

#8 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:27 PM

I process all my images through Siril because it has a “green tint removal” tool for that specific reason. It’s free.

Green tint is inherent to OSC images, I think. That’s my experience anyway with three OSC cameras. And it makes sense if you think about the bayer matrix layout. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Edited by matt_astro_tx, 25 July 2021 - 06:29 PM.

• Skysmacker likes this

#9 licho52

licho52

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:12 PM

The single biggest improvement you can make is adding l-Extreme filter 2" to your setup.  For this type of target it will make a world of difference.

#10 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Vanguard

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:27 PM

I couldn't do too much with the JPG, but I did manage to get a bit from it:

med_gallery_347158_14910_441929.jpeg

• Skysmacker likes this

#11 acrh2

acrh2

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:50 PM

The single biggest improvement you can make is adding l-Extreme filter 2" to your setup.  For this type of target it will make a world of difference.

L-Extreme would probably wipe out all of the shadow detail. He would have to increase the sub exposure by several times.

#12 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:55 AM

Thanks, I was pretty surprised with how much I was able to pull out due to the short amount of shooting time, I would like to spend a good few hours getting it properly really.

I wonder if it need really that much integration time, i mean, i took a shot with an unmodded Canon 800D, about 3 hours in bortle 5, skies, it came out pretty good.

It surprised me too actually.

But i am lacking Ha

https://www.cloudyni...l-half-the-job/

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 26 July 2021 - 01:56 AM.

#13 Astro Waves

Astro Waves

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:57 PM

I also see the background with a blue/green tint, adjusting the black point of those colors would highlight the nebula.

I think is just something that came in whilst I was editing as I use Siril to stack and the also the green tint removal.

This is definitely on my list of things to get for my set up but guiding is the next port of call over the filtre. 

I couldn't do too much with the JPG, but I did manage to get a bit from it:

med_gallery_347158_14910_441929.jpeg

Nicely done. Looks like it has a lot more clarity and the colour depth looks nicer as well, what did you do to the jpeg? I struggled pulling out the blue some what. 

I wonder if it need really that much integration time, i mean, i took a shot with an unmodded Canon 800D, about 3 hours in bortle 5, skies, it came out pretty good.

It surprised me too actually.

But i am lacking Ha

https://www.cloudyni...l-half-the-job/

Still looks pretty good to me!

#14 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Vanguard

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

Nicely done. Looks like it has a lot more clarity and the colour depth looks nicer as well, what did you do to the jpeg? I struggled pulling out the blue some what. 

Thanks. I took the JPG into PixInsight. There, I separated the nebula from the stars using StarNet++. I ran SCNR on the nebula image, and applied some curves to increase saturation just a bit, increase the contrast and pull up the blues. I re-combined the nebula and stars using pixel math, then ran the EZ script to reduce stars.

#15 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:30 PM

Save those subs, later on you can return to it, re-align your camera again if you use or going to use framing in programs like NINA or APT and you can add to the stack. 

I look back and I deleted a lot of early works of mine and now since I learned more things about process and framing, I wish I had those, so I can just keep throwing those subs on top of the pile and increasing the integration time. 

#16 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:46 AM

Save those subs, later on you can return to it, re-align your camera again if you use or going to use framing in programs like NINA or APT and you can add to the stack. 

I look back and I deleted a lot of early works of mine and now since I learned more things about process and framing, I wish I had those, so I can just keep throwing those subs on top of the pile and increasing the integration time. 

One of my favorite parts of this hobby.  Nothing is in vain.  

Edited by matt_astro_tx, 27 July 2021 - 06:48 AM.

#17 Astro Waves

Astro Waves

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

Thanks. I took the JPG into PixInsight. There, I separated the nebula from the stars using StarNet++. I ran SCNR on the nebula image, and applied some curves to increase saturation just a bit, increase the contrast and pull up the blues. I re-combined the nebula and stars using pixel math, then ran the EZ script to reduce stars.

I've had a go at using Starnet++, downloaded it found a tutorial to watch as I had absolutely no idea how to actually run it and can't seem to get it to work as I think I'm not doing something quite right. I'm using a Mac and also Affinity Photo and I can get it to run on the image but the final result just turns out as a black image. The shell script just tells me that  'AdobeDeflate Compression support is not configured' I've tried to have a search to see what that means but can't seem to find out what it actually is. I'm not the most tech savvy person so any help would be massively appreciated. I was going to post a screen shot but I cannot even figure out how to do that, hahaha. 

#18 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:27 PM

I've had a go at using Starnet++, downloaded it found a tutorial to watch as I had absolutely no idea how to actually run it and can't seem to get it to work as I think I'm not doing something quite right. I'm using a Mac and also Affinity Photo and I can get it to run on the image but the final result just turns out as a black image. The shell script just tells me that  'AdobeDeflate Compression support is not configured' I've tried to have a search to see what that means but can't seem to find out what it actually is. I'm not the most tech savvy person so any help would be massively appreciated. I was going to post a screen shot but I cannot even figure out how to do that, hahaha. 

It's been a while since I ran StarNet++ on its own outside of PixInsight. I don't know how much help I can offer you regarding that AdobeDeflate thing.

Make sure you're running starnet on a non-linear (i.e. stretched) image. Running it on a linear image would lead to just getting a black result.

Are you using an Intel-based Mac, or one of the newer M1 Macs? I think some people had issues with running it on the M1 Macs (but maybe that's been solved). Anyway, on my Mac (a 2019 MacBook Pro with 8 core i9, Radeon 560X, 16G RAM) I can run it on the command line. I just downloaded and tested it out.

Step 1, download the zip

Step 2, extract the zip

Step 3, open up a terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal)

Step 4, go to where you unzipped that file. If that was to your Downloads folder, and you unzipped it there, then you'd type: cd ~/Downloads/StarNet_MacOS and hit return

Step 5, you have to change permissions to allow it to be run, so type: chmod 755 * and then hit return

Step 6, you need to get it out of quarantine, so type: xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine * and then hit return

Step 7, run it on the test image provided: ./run_rgb_starnet.sh and hit return

You should see something like the following text:

Reading input image... Done!
Bits per sample: 16
Samples per pixel: 3
Height: 712
Width: 1048
Restoring neural network checkpoint... Done!
2021-07-27 15:17:45.595166: I tensorflow/core/platform/cpu_feature_guard.cc:141] Your CPU supports instructions that this TensorFlow binary was not compiled to use: SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 FMA
Total number of tiles: 204
100% finished

Done!

If you get something similar, you'll have a new, starless image in that same directory called rgb_test5_s.tif

Hopefully that helps a bit.

#19 Astro Waves

Astro Waves

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for trying to help, I had a go at what you suggested but couldn't get anything from it.

I started again and then also re installed it and followed the previous steps I had been doing but thought I'd try it out on the test image that comes download in Starnet++ and it worked great but then when I tried to do my own image (its non-linear, as its the image I posted up top), it doesn't seem to like that even though I'm making sure its a 16 bit tiff and got the right file name for it to run it on. There's something I must be missing out in the chain some where, just need to figure that out. 

#20 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for trying to help, I had a go at what you suggested but couldn't get anything from it.

I started again and then also re installed it and followed the previous steps I had been doing but thought I'd try it out on the test image that comes download in Starnet++ and it worked great but then when I tried to do my own image (its non-linear, as its the image I posted up top), it doesn't seem to like that even though I'm making sure its a 16 bit tiff and got the right file name for it to run it on. There's something I must be missing out in the chain some where, just need to figure that out. 

It's because Affinity is saving the file in the wrong TIF format.  I tried it with Affinity and couldn't get it to work.  Open in some other program (don't know what in Mac, but I use Darktable for Windows), and resave it as an uncompressed TIF.  Some other program should save it correctly.

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#21 Astro Waves

Astro Waves

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:11 PM

It's because Affinity is saving the file in the wrong TIF format.  I tried it with Affinity and couldn't get it to work.  Open in some other program (don't know what in Mac, but I use Darktable for Windows), and resave it as an uncompressed TIF.  Some other program should save it correctly.

I thought it might have been something like that. Did as you said and worked no problem, ta for the advice.

• rj144 and jonnybravo0311 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics