•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using one brake rotor versus two

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kcormier19

Kcormier19

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:08 PM

I have a Celestron AVX Mount that I am going to connect to a cement here using a brake rotor. I have seen many people use a lower and upper brake rotor with a space in the middle. If you were to use long enough J bolts that came out of the cement here, do you really need a lower rotor? My thought is that if you had a large enough space between the top of the cement pier and the one rotor that the amount is connected to you can reach your hand in to connect the center pin to lock down the mount on the brake rotor. If you had three or four j-bolts going up into the rotor you would be able to adjust each part of that to make sure the rotor is perfectly level. So I'm just not sure I understand the need for the lower rotor.

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:02 PM

I'm only using one rotor.  Different mount, but same principle, and I use the outer bolts to adjust level like you mention above.

https://www.cloudyni...-way/?p=9815415

• CCD-Freak likes this

#3 Kcormier19

Kcormier19

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:01 PM

Thank you for confirming that it can be done. Looking at your photographs, I'm curious how you mount the underneath center screw to hold the mount to the brake rotor if there's no space between the brake rotor and the mount itself. Do you have to attach the mount to the brake rotor first and then the brake rotor to the pier?

#4 Tom K

Tom K

Apollo

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:09 AM

I have done both - two when I had an AVX and now one with my CEM60.  My pier has only a central hole in the top plate and the challenge for me was my own capabilities to properly drill through very thick steel.   My solution was to go to my local scrap metal yard and get a big chunk of aluminum plate that was easier to drill holes for both the center hole that attaches to the pier and then holes to accept the brake rotor.   I also made an aluminum plate for the top of the rotor to adapt to the CEM60 mounting posts.   Works for me - this arrangement is shown here:  https://www.cloudyni...or/?p=10428603 

• OldManSky likes this

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 04:49 PM

Thank you for confirming that it can be done. Looking at your photographs, I'm curious how you mount the underneath center screw to hold the mount to the brake rotor if there's no space between the brake rotor and the mount itself. Do you have to attach the mount to the brake rotor first and then the brake rotor to the pier?

The CEM60 doesn't use a central bolt to lock it down to the pier/tripod like your mount does.  It uses two smaller bolts that screw into the pier/tripod base on the outside of the mount's perimeter.

However...yes, you could bolt the mount to the rotor, then place the rotor on the pier and tighten down the bolts holding the rotor, leveling it at the same time.  So instead of removing just the mount when you take it down (IF you take it down), you just remove the mount AND the rotor.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics