•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which Losmandy plate?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 StuartT

StuartT

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 25 July 2021 - 02:11 PM

My new Esprit 150 has a green Losmandy bar on the bottom side of the tube rings and I wanted to buy an identical one to attach to the top side of the tube rings (to piggy back stuff on the scope).

I ordered a SjyWatcher bar of the same length, but the holes are in different positions and so I can't attach it! I assume the one on the scope was SkyWatcher and that therefore the new one would be the same, but it's not! I've not been able to find any other bars online.

Anyone know the solution?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed.jpg

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:01 PM

If I remember correctly Losmandy provides mechanical drawings for their plates on the website.

• StuartT likes this

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:29 PM

My new Esprit 150 has a green Losmandy bar on the bottom side of the tube rings and I wanted to buy an identical one to attach to the top side of the tube rings (to piggy back stuff on the scope).

I ordered a SjyWatcher bar of the same length, but the holes are in different positions and so I can't attach it! I assume the one on the scope was SkyWatcher and that therefore the new one would be the same, but it's not! I've not been able to find any other bars online.

Anyone know the solution?

Thanks

Yes Stuart ring the dealer before you ordered it lol.

• StuartT likes this

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

Yes Stuart ring the dealer before you ordered it lol.

I suppose it's one of those "who knew?" situations. It's green, anyhow.  wink.gif    Did you talk with the supplier? Clearly, ES makes two versions.  Hopefully they can help. Send them the photo so they can get you the pattern you need.

• StuartT likes this

#5 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:46 PM

Both Losmandy and ADM carry plates like that (Except for color). Losmandy has diagrams with hole spacing/diameter/thread size. Celestron does also but you have to go to the plate size' build sheet. Their's are few, Losmandy is many😁.

CS, Ralph
  • StuartT likes this

#6 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:28 PM

By the way, the spacing between the holes on the plate under your Esprit 150 look like a "special" and I'd be interested to know what the spacing is, and where that plate came from, as it looks like it would fit something I have.

Get a ruler and measure the hole spacing on the rings. Make sure the plate you buy has the same spacing lengthwise along the OTA as well as laterally between the holes.

• ram812 and StuartT like this

#7 StuartT

StuartT

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:28 AM

Well.. I emailed the dealer and they were surprised too! That's the only plate they have and they didn't realise it wasn't the one provided by Skywatcher with my scope. 

I assume this is a Skywatcher plate (as it's that nice green colour) and the one I already have was provided with the scope.

I assume that I'm going to have to purchase direct from Losmandy, but I doubt I'll be able to get the colour to match the SW one

confused1.gif

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:42 AM

You could order a second of the "new" one, and use both of those top and bottom.

Maybe sell the other one in the classifieds...?  :)

• ram812 and StuartT like this

#9 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:23 AM

Well.. I emailed the dealer and they were surprised too! That's the only plate they have and they didn't realise it wasn't the one provided by Skywatcher with my scope. 

I assume this is a Skywatcher plate (as it's that nice green colour) and the one I already have was provided with the scope.

I assume that I'm going to have to purchase direct from Losmandy, but I doubt I'll be able to get the colour to match the SW one

confused1.gif

Well I would be very surprised you would have to order it from the USA,anyway apart from (first light optics) give these a go

widescreen centre,  (speak to Simon he is knowledgeable as owns a 180mm astrophysics refractor.

Rother valley optics

365 Astronomy 

astroshop Eu

teleskop service  (they do a wide range of apo refractors )

tecnosky telescopes 

• StuartT likes this

#10 StuartT

StuartT

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:25 AM

You could order a second of the "new" one, and use both of those top and bottom.

Maybe sell the other one in the classifieds...?  smile.gif

Actually that is a very good idea! Why didn't I think of that?

I think if I move the tube rings a little further apart it should fit.

• OldManSky likes this

#11 epdreher

epdreher

Apollo

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:24 PM

ADM also provides diagrams of the hole spacing in their plates.

• StuartT likes this

#12 StuartT

StuartT

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:27 PM

ADM also provides diagrams of the hole spacing in their plates.

But I think the green ones are made by SkyWatcher, not ADM

#13 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:31 PM

Well, if the OP was adamant about the color and can't find what they want, anodizing for such a small part can be done inexpensively as long as they take a sample of the color to their shop of choice for matching.
FWIW
CS, Ralph😁

Nice OTA, by the way😉

Edited by ram812, 26 July 2021 - 06:37 PM.

• StuartT likes this

#14 StuartT

StuartT

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:53 AM

Well, if the OP was adamant about the color and can't find what they want, anodizing for such a small part can be done inexpensively as long as they take a sample of the color to their shop of choice for matching.
FWIW
CS, Ralph

Nice OTA, by the way

Hi. I'm not really adamant about the colour. I just wanted to make sure I got a matching plate (as I assumed SkyWatcher made the green ones). But the dealer sent me a green one with different hole pattern

• ram812 likes this

#15 epdreher

epdreher

Apollo

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:13 AM

But I think the green ones are made by SkyWatcher, not ADM

True.  My response was to the gentleman who mentioned Losmandy having online specs.

In your shoes, I'd also try to match the plate.  Best of luck.

• StuartT likes this

#16 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Viking 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:43 AM

Looking at your picture, you could move one of the rings into the slot on the right of the original plate, reset the ring spacing to match both the original and new plate.

• StuartT likes this

#17 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:42 AM

There are many different hole spacings - there is no standard. Losmandy ones are imperial - 2”. Others are 50mm, 55mm or 60mm.

You really do need to pull out a ruler, measure what you have and buy one that fits. If the seller doesn’t have a decent drawing with dimensions, find another - or be prepared to take it to a machine shop to have holes drilled where you need them.

Edited by luxo II, 27 July 2021 - 08:44 AM.

• StuartT likes this

#18 StuartT

StuartT

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:35 PM

Looking at your picture, you could move one of the rings into the slot on the right of the original plate, reset the ring spacing to match both the original and new plate.

I did actually wonder about doing that, but I am not sure there is a matching configuration for both plates. But life has been v busy recently, so I need to give this a bit of time at the weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics