•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to connect PHD2 and SharpCap at the same time?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MLM

MLM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Silver Spring MD USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

Looking for help using PHD2 and SharpCap 4.0 to control my TTS-160 using the ASCOM Meade LX200 Classic and Autostar #494, #495, and #497 driver.

I can connect either PHD2 or SharpCap 4.0, but not both at the same time. I thought that ASCOM was supposed to take care of allowing multiple programs to control the mount. Any suggestions on what I need to different?

Specifically, I get unable to connect errors in PHD2 when SharpCap is already connected. Converesely, if PHD2 is connected, SharpCap gives a connection error. See screen shots.

Thanks

PhD2.png SharpCap.png

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:56 PM

I connect multiple apps to my mount at the same time without issue. But I am using EQMOD but I also was able to do it when use CPWI to connect to a Celestron mount. I think it may be that your ASCOM driver does not allow simultaneous connections. Some older ones had the problem from what I understand.

#3 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:19 PM

If you don't get the answer here, you might try the SharpCap forum

In addition to having the error dialog boxes, you should have the SharpCap session log. It might be helpful to change the default logging setup first.  From the top menu in SC select File, then SharpCap Settings, the the Logging Tab. On the logging tab check General and Mount Hardware Communications. Do this before starting the camera.

After the error dialog box is closed go to the top menu and select Help and then Show Log.

Always good to have the latest version of ASCOM  installed and double check to see that you have the latest drivers for your devices.

You also have the option to run the ASCOM Diagnostics and the device connection checker, but I don't know whether that is going to be helpful.

PhD2 has this to say about connection problems-

If you're using an ASCOM connection to the mount, be sure the COM port assignments are correct.  You can also use some of the ASCOM-supplied tools like POTH to be sure the ASCOM driver is communicating correctly with the mount.  It is best to use the latest version of the ASCOM driver for your mount because older versions of these drivers might have bugs associated with pulse-guiding.

You may find more at https://openphdguidi...g/getting-help/

Edited by barbarosa, 25 July 2021 - 04:34 PM.

#4 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

Since you're on a TTS mount, I'd suggest you ask the question in their Forum. I'm sure Niels or another user will respond.

Gary

#5 MLM

MLM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Silver Spring MD USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

The trick was to install an ASCOM update, and then use POTH Hub, which allows simultaneous connection with PHD and SharpCap.

• Rickster and barbarosa like this

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:16 PM

Moving from EAA to Astronomy Software & Computers for a better fit.

#7 bdoyle

bdoyle

Explorer 1

• Loc: Silver Springs, Nevada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:06 AM

Poth has been replaced by Device Hub which is included in Ascom 6.5. While have tested inside (smoke from local fires)  I have setup the Meade generic, Gps, Stellarium and Sharpcap. Just a matter of selecting device hub rather than the mount. Looks like a good way to switch between mounts as well. On Win10, it is in the program menu Ascom 6, device hub.

Edited by bdoyle, 26 July 2021 - 12:52 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics