•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

No UHC filter for Rho Ophiuchi, right?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:57 PM

I'm in Bortle 8/9 and shoot with an unmodded Nikon D750.  I sometimes use an Optolong UHC filter to help with LP.  If I'm shooting Rho Ophiuchi, I want to lose the filter, correct?

#2 qswat72

qswat72

Ranger 4

Posted 25 July 2021 - 06:17 PM

Rho Ophiuchi is a broadband target, so you would not want to use a filter. That being said, because it is a broadband target, shooting it from a light polluted area is going to be extremely challenging.
  • Scott Mitchell likes this

#3 KungFood

KungFood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Tx

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:56 PM

But not as difficult as pronouncing it. O-fee-oo-chee, O-foo-chee, O-fyu-chee...pretty sure the first part is Row.

• Tim J Fowler likes this

#4 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Messenger

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:25 PM

Pronouncing it is easy. Who's to say if you're wrong? Or, you could just say "all that stuff around Antares.

#5 KungFood

KungFood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Tx

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:44 PM

I generally call it "that awesome thing I'd have to mosaic 8x8 to get all of".

• klaussius and jonnybravo0311 like this

#6 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:08 PM

So, I tried it for 30 minutes last night and got zero nebulosity.  It's pretty much impossible from Bortle 8/9, right?  I probably need about 100 hours on it?

#7 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:25 PM

But not as difficult as pronouncing it. O-fee-oo-chee, O-foo-chee, O-fyu-chee...pretty sure the first part is Row.

I think its O-fee-uh-key, but I have been wrong before. ;)

#8 belliott4488

belliott4488

Ranger 4

• Loc: MD, US

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:40 PM

I think its O-fee-uh-key, but I have been wrong before. wink.gif

That's closer, but if you really get it right, your monitor screen should be slightly moist after you've said it. grin.gif

(Borrowed from the original LaTeX Users Manual; I have no idea if they still say that.)

#9 klaussius

klaussius

Apollo

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 27 July 2021 - 10:34 PM

So, I tried it for 30 minutes last night and got zero nebulosity.  It's pretty much impossible from Bortle 8/9, right?  I probably need about 100 hours on it?

The Rho Ophiuchi complex is one of the first things I tried to image. Not the first, but close.

I had no idea just how difficult it is from B9.

After I got a bit more experience and 30 minutes of integration (was a lot for me at the time), I managed to get this lame shot:

rho_ophiuchi.stretch.sml.jpg

That's #NoFilter and stock DSLR on an achro. Beyond entry level.

My wife, more recently, had a similar idea. She's also just starting, so I quickly pointed out that the area is kinda tough and steered her towards M4. Still, she got a bit of nebulosity near Antares (out of focus as it is, it's more than I got in my first shot - Respect):

m4.composite.stretch.sml.jpg

Orion 5561 skyglow filter (L-pro like), might have helped a bit. That was 1h 10m of integration, stock DSLR, just intervalometer, on a SW 72ED.

Nearby, with a CLS and 1h 50m of integration, I got this also quite unimpressive shot of Sharpless 2-9:

sh2-9_hdr_reg_flatfix_crop_sml.jpg

Which brings me to this:

I generally call it "that awesome thing I'd have to mosaic 8x8 to get all of".

You can say that again!

Furthermore, given the above results, I reckon each panel would take about 10h of integration, minimum, to get any decent quality.

I have it all planned, but it might take a while. Moving to a darker sky may actually be easier.

But we're not in this hobby because it's easy, are we?

In fact, ATM I'm waiting for the last few components of a new wider field setup to try again to capture this cloud complex, perhaps with a higher likelihood of success. Fingers crossed.

Edited by klaussius, 27 July 2021 - 10:36 PM.

#10 T~Stew

T~Stew

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:36 AM

I always wondered how it was pronounced!

I'm fortunate to live in a bortle4 area, may on the darker side of b4 since right in town is also shown as b4 on the light pollution map website and between here and in town is a huge difference. Anyhow my problem is that Rho Oph doesn't rise very high, and pretty much within Columbus Ohio light dome to my south. I picked up the Rok135mm with Rho Oph in mind but I think it'll have to wait until I travel. I do often travel to another b4 & b3 areas... just came back actually but of course the whole past week the moon was an issue so did no AP.

Even in b4, I'm guessing its a waste of time with it in the brighter glow near the southern horizon due to the city?

#11 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:36 PM

I always wondered how it was pronounced!

I'm fortunate to live in a bortle4 area, may on the darker side of b4 since right in town is also shown as b4 on the light pollution map website and between here and in town is a huge difference. Anyhow my problem is that Rho Oph doesn't rise very high, and pretty much within Columbus Ohio light dome to my south. I picked up the Rok135mm with Rho Oph in mind but I think it'll have to wait until I travel. I do often travel to another b4 & b3 areas... just came back actually but of course the whole past week the moon was an issue so did no AP.

Even in b4, I'm guessing its a waste of time with it in the brighter glow near the southern horizon due to the city?

I gave up in Bortle 8/9.  I probably need like 100 hours on it.  ;)

It would be cool, but not worth the time here.  I'll have to eventually go somewhere else.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics