•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Setting up filter wheel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 25 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

I'll be putting together my ZWO 7pos EFW, with Antlia 36mm unmounted filters.  Any tips to do this right the first time?

1) I understand there are different surfaces with antireflective coatings, so has to be installed in correct orientations.  Is this just the SHO, or LRGB as well?  Not much documentation with the filters.  Website has an example but not specific.  

2) The rings that come with the EFW to secure the filters have a smooth side and a roughened side.  It seems to me that the smooth side goes against the filter so as not to scratch it? 

3) I will blow dust off prior to sealing optical train.   

Thanks

#2 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:35 PM

Something I always do is wear powder free latex gloves when handling my filters and I have my Kimtech sheets with cleaning solution at the ready.

• hornjs likes this

#3 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:44 PM

Just be careful you don't drop the screws onto the filters while you are installing them. Be aware of how you bring them around the optics to their location. Take your time. It is easier to blow off any dust than deal with a scratch or fingerprint. 

• hornjs likes this

#4 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:45 AM

Thanks all.  Got this set up last night.  Biggest fear like #3 stated above was dropping screws and having them skitter over the filter surface.  Glad ZWO included magnetic tip screwdriver to lessen the chance of this.  All went well, could tell which side of filters needed to face forward (ghosting / nonghosting).  Only filter I couldn't tell was the Lum filter looked the same on both sides.  I had one filter (SII) that had some crud on the surface that was easily remedied with some IPA and microfiber cloth.  Hopefully can image soon with all this smoke.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics