•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are plossl eyepieces still worth it?

Eyepieces Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:43 PM

I haven’t been into the hobby for long but my experience is in line with what’s been said. My Meade 4000 56 and 60 degree Meade Plossls are pretty sharp to my eyes and do pretty well for me.

To be precise, those 60° Meades are not Plossls even though they call them so (incorrectly), they are Erfles. Max AFOV a Plossl may have is ~55°, e.g. Sterling/AT High Grade.

As for the OPs question I like my old 10mm Orion single coated Plossl, poor eye relief, but amazingly sharp and shows good light control, a good planetary and lunar perfomer.

Edited by CeleNoptic, 26 July 2021 - 03:47 PM.

• teashea and DirtyRod like this

#27 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:43 PM

Very worth it for me, as I like to use bino-viewers.

The Plossl's are very easy to modify, allowing me to use the bino-viewer on

all my refracting telescopes without having to cut down the tube length 

or using a Barlow/OCA . 

p.s. Also work very well with my binoculars that have removable focal reducers built into 

the eyepiece holder tube. 

That is quite interesting

• telesonic likes this

#28 teashea

teashea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:45 PM

To be precise, those 60° Meades are not Plossls even though they call them so (incorrectly), they are Erfles. Max AFOV a Plossl may have is ~55°, e.g. Sterling/AT High Grade.

As for the OPs question I like my old 10mm Orion single coated Plossl, poor eye relief, but amazingly sharp and shows good light control, a good planetary and lunar perfomer.

good info

#29 vtornado

vtornado

Skylab

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:36 PM

I love Plossls because they are so often trash talked, they can be had for a good price in the classified.

I have generic (celestron, meade, sirius)  for beater eyepieces, and smart astronomy and teleuve for a step above those.

• Rick-T137 likes this

#30 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:49 PM

Are plossl eyepieces still worth it? I have CPC 925 and I currently own Hyperion 10mm, Hyperion 17mm and Celestron plossl 40mm. I just ordered Hyperion 13mm and 21mm but I really like how sharp and crisp view is in plossl 40mm. I was looking on a OPT website and they have celestron 32mm and 15mm plossl. They are not that expensive I would pay about $100 for both eye pieces. I was just wondering if plossls are still worth it or should get a better eyepiece in a 30mm range. 

They never were worth it.

If you want min-glass get Orthos.

#31 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:24 AM

I have to disagree.  Just because one is using a 4 element eyepiece, that does not mean the goal is mini-glass.  It might be for a good eyepiece with a 50 degree AFoV.  Ortho's suffer the same small eye lens/short eye relief syndrome that short focal length Plossls do.. 

One of the fun things about reading Texereau is his discussion and mentions of this unknown, well corrected, wide field eyepiece called the Plossl... 

Jon

• george tatsis, JamesDuffey, SpyderwerX and 5 others like this

#32 Jan-S

Jan-S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:35 AM

I recently got a pair of TV 15mm Plossls for binoviewing.

Plus: compact design, lightweight, as far as I can tell very sharp, affordable.

Cons: difficult to see the field stop when binoviewing (with a 1.7 GPC, though it should not matter)

Because of the latter, I will switch to 18 mm Tak Abbes.

#33 Rick-T137

Rick-T137

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

I disagree. To say one of the most popular eyepiece designs in history "never were worth it" is laughable.

While I'd agree there are many newer designs that perform different tasks much better, the humble Plössl is still a capable performer and does well all round at it's job - being an eyepiece.

I have Orthos and I have Plössls - they work equally well for me.

Clear skies!

Rick

Edited by Rick-T137, 27 July 2021 - 07:54 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, jeffmac, vtornado and 1 other like this

#34 pkolsut85

pkolsut85

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Piedmont, Oklahoma

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:40 AM

IF you like your Hyperions  , you could get a 2 inch visual back and 2 inch  diagonal / or 2 inch SCT diagonal  and add the 31 or 36 Baader  eyepieces in 2 inch . The Hyperions  work well in SCTs  and you can't beat that large eyelens and eye relief  ,JMO.

Omg I did not know Baader makes 31 and 36... I just checked highpoint website and you are right. I was looking at Hyperions only and they stop at 24... But you are correct they makes aspheric ones... Thank you! well I know what am going to buy next, THANK YOU!

• Rick-T137 likes this

#35 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:07 AM

Omg I did not know Baader makes 31 and 36... I just checked highpoint website and you are right. I was looking at Hyperions only and they stop at 24... But you are correct they makes aspheric ones... Thank you! well I know what am going to buy next, THANK YOU!

In my opinion, the 31mm and 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric's are best avoided.  They are poor performers in faster scopes and not great in moderate and longer focal length scopes, there's a lot of off-axis astigmatism.  For what they are, they are over priced. 

They cost $215-$225, for $250, you can buy the 30mm APM UFF which, in my opinion, is a much better eyepiece. Sharp off-axis even below F/5. 

Jon 

• spaceoddity, Rick-T137, 25585 and 1 other like this

#36 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:42 AM

I had a bino pair of TV 20mm Plossls, very fine for high power planetary observation with my long focus 8" Mak, then I also bought the older TV 21mm Plossl, after trying the 21mm I sold the more recent 20mm. The 21mm is simply amazing, I can't believe that TV decided to discontinue this little gem, it is better than the newer version in every category including eye comfort, the overall shape along with fit and finish is one of the best from TV.

Vahe

The TV 7.4mm plossl is another one that outperformed it's replacement (8mm).

• SpyderwerX and naramsin like this

#37 John Anthony

John Anthony

Apollo

• Loc: FINALLY out of the Michigan southeast light dome

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:11 AM

I'm a little hesitant to post this because I'm pretty sure it will be taken the wrong way.  But it's the same old question gone over for another one million and one times.  Is there such a thing as an eyepiece that isn't worth it today?   I'm pretty certain at this point in my astronomy experience that the atmosphere will dictate how well anything will perform to one degree or another, we live in the golden age of equipment excellence. Keep it simple, have a variety of eyepieces with less glass and some more exotic designs, I gaurantee you will be rewarded with wonderful views if you are persistent in your observing habits regardless of what you have in the diagonal.   Thats what a very long time with a telescope has taught me.  

• Jon Isaacs and telesonic like this

#38 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:36 PM

When it comes to astronomy, beating dead horses BeatingADeadHorse.gif BeatingADeadHorse.gif is a tradition going back to our ancient ancestors who believed this ceremony would impart knowledge about plossl eyepieces.

• John Anthony, Rick-T137, j.gardavsky and 1 other like this

#39 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:05 PM

In my opinion, the 31mm and 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric's are best avoided.  They are poor performers in faster scopes and not great in moderate and longer focal length scopes, there's a lot of off-axis astigmatism.  For what they are, they are over priced. 

They cost $215-$225, for $250, you can buy the 30mm APM UFF which, in my opinion, is a much better eyepiece. Sharp off-axis even below F/5. 

Jon 

You can also get an 38mm Agena SWA or Orion Q70 for much less, and they perform well in SCT's.

#40 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Gemini

• Loc: Germany

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:41 PM

Plössls still worth it?

Well,

I have reduced my Plössls just to 2:

Tele Vue 21mm Plössl, NJ in circle, volcano top,

and the Carl Zeiss Jena Plössl 25mm, mounted by b+w

These Plössls are not bad at all,

but they are behind the Carl Zeiss West Königs (field stop - 2 - 1) E-Pl, W-Pl,

and also behind the more sophisticated Carl Zeiss West S-Pl,

and behind the other König's derivates Leica HC Plan, HC Plan S, and L Plan.

Best,

JG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics