•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old School 60mm Finder

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:18 PM

They don't make them like this any more! I've had this for 30+ years now. Can't remember where I picked it up. Maybe off of "Astro Trader"...I think that was what the monthly for sale booklet of astro stuff for sale was called?  60mm F5 (or there abouts) cemented doublet objective. .965" helical focuser. A single baffle in the tube. Everything screws together...focuser back plate to tube, objective cell to tube and dew shield to objective cell. Has the Japan Telescope Inspection Institute sticker! Remember those!?

I have a .965" to 1.25" diagonal so I can use 1.25" EPs with it...although not many 1.25" EPs will come to focus. Pics of the finder by itself and with the hybrid diagonal and a 25mm no-name orthoscopic EP.

I'm going to use it on a new scope I have coming. Just have to cobble together a set of rings for it. I'll post pics when I get it back in use.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• 60mm finder resized.jpg
  • 60mm finder with diagonal and EP resized.jpg

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#2 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:55 PM

I use PVC pipe. It is easy to drill and thread, I also use a Diameter tape. That makes measuring/marking the holes easy. I just made a set today for a 2.5" F30. 

• mdowns, Terra Nova and Kasmos like this

#3 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

I have a few of those from Celestron, Meade and University Optics. Some were convertible from straight through to RA. They needed an extension tube to use it straight through. They were available in 50mm and 60mm. I liked the helical focuser. You can get rings from Scopestuff.

P1000042.JPG

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#4 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:00 PM

Bill,could that monthly booklet had been 'The Starry Messenger'? Before the internet it was a source that many used.

• Don W likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:33 PM

Bill:

Will it actually focus at infinity with the diagonal in place?

My story:

I have an old UO 11 x 80mm finder.  It has a pad on it so it can be used with a tripod and it had a short travel 1.25 focuser setup so it would focus with a diagonal.  It's has a focal length of about 300mm so it's F/3.75.

Unfortunately, when I measured the effective aperture is was only 60mm, that focuser and diagonal really cut into the light cone.  So I had a machinist friend remove but the tube in half, remove the focuser and back plate.  He made a plug for the back with a 1.25 inch hole and it just so happened that some some plastic pipe fit the OD of the OTA so the tube length is adjustable.  

It now operates at the full 80mm aperture and it actually has quite good optics.  I have split the double-double despite the fact that focusing is "slip and slide in the diagonal.  With the sleeve in the middle, it's not a beauty but it does work.  

IMG_25072021_194917_(700_x_800_pixel).jpg

Jon

• Terra Nova, Tenacious and LukaszLu like this

#6 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:38 PM

Bill,could that monthly booklet had been 'The Starry Messenger'? Before the internet it was a source that many used.

That's it mdowns!  Thx for the clarification. I still have a few copies stashed away somewhere from when I bought things.Memories!

#7 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:41 PM

I use PVC pipe. It is easy to drill and thread, I also use a Diameter tape. That makes measuring/marking the holes easy. I just made a set today for a 2.5" F30. 

Hi Couder! I have some rings...just have to see what will work to mount them to the new scope. I saw your post about using a Diameter tape. I learned something new today. Thx!

#8 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:46 PM

Bill:

Will it actually focus at infinity with the diagonal in place?

My story:

I have an old UO 11 x 80mm finder.  It has a pad on it so it can be used with a tripod and it had a short travel 1.25 focuser setup so it would focus with a diagonal.  It's has a focal length of about 300mm so it's F/3.75.

Unfortunately, when I measured the effective aperture is was only 60mm, that focuser and diagonal really cut into the light cone.  So I had a machinist friend remove but the tube in half, remove the focuser and back plate.  He made a plug for the back with a 1.25 inch hole and it just so happened that some some plastic pipe fit the OD of the OTA so the tube length is adjustable.  

It now operates at the full 80mm aperture and it actually has quite good optics.  I have split the double-double despite the fact that focusing is "slip and slide in the diagonal.  With the sleeve in the middle, it's not a beauty but it does work.  

Jon

Hi Jon!

Only with a couple of my older 1.25" EPs.

I actually may have one of those UO finders! I'll look tomorrow. I had a Lumicon Super Finder way back when but I was never impressed by it so I traded it a long time ago. Understood about the effective aperture issue.

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:43 AM

Meade sold them around 1981 i think.

#10 Don W

Don W

Founding Member

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:41 AM

Actually Meade, Celestron and UO sold those style finders for several years during the 80s.

#11 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:05 PM

I was wrong. The finder I was thinking might be a UO model is maybe a Celestron model.

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• 80mm Celestron finder 1.jpg
  • 80mm Celestron finder 2.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:12 PM

Those ‘T’ style mirror star diagonals were made by Vixen so I would imagine the whole finder also was.

#13 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:47 PM

The white finder in your first picture is...  TOWA.  I have the 50mm version -- same helical focuser & .965" tube + adapter ring with 2 thumbscrews.  VG optics.  IIRC, you can REMOVE the helical assembly & .965" tube, and fit a 1.25" diagonal to the threaded end, and use it -- gotta slide the eyepiece in / out to focus...

I'll double-check mine later this week...

OR, I would -- I gave away one of these (60mm version)  on our Free to a Good Home thread months ago...

Here's the Blue Meade that I thought was a Mizar, but is Towa:

Meade (Towa) Blue 8x50 RA Finder T13 (LS CU).jpg

Same Focuser as yours.  Lots of 1970s / 80s 1.25 diagonals have the same thread as these finders -- once you remove the finder focuser...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 26 July 2021 - 08:56 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and Terra Nova like this

#14 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:45 PM

Hi Bomber Bob!  Thx for the info on the finder being a Towa. I would not have guessed that. I will try the trick of removing the focuser and screwing on a diagonal to use 1.25" EPs that way.

Bill

#15 BillB

BillB

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

Turns out I did have a UO finder. I'm pulling all of these things out after a move. It's been fun finding these long unused things as I go through boxes that we moved to our new home. I really need to thin the number of things I have just taking up space so some of these items will be for sale eventually.

Bill.

Attached Thumbnails

• UO 80mm Finder.jpg

• Jon Isaacs and Bomber Bob like this

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:15 AM

Turns out I did have a UO finder. I'm pulling all of these things out after a move. It's been fun finding these long unused things as I go through boxes that we moved to our new home. I really need to thin the number of things I have just taking up space so some of these items will be for sale eventually.

Bill.

Yours looks better than mine...

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics