•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Creating a Lunar HDR Image in Pixinsight

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 qswat72

qswat72

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:30 PM

Creating Lunar HDR Image in Pixinsight

Hey all! I have two sets of images which I captured a while back to create a lunar HDR image, a light side, as well as the Earth shine portion.

Both sets of images are fully processed up to the point of combining them to create the full HDR effect. The one thing I’m unsure of is how to do this in Pixinsight (still decently new to the software). I’ve done it in GIMP before, but would prefer to not use that for this image.

Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated! All my searches thus far have turned up empty.

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:51 PM

I'm not sure whether there is any tool in PixInsight that will automatically handle the creation of a lunar HDR. You can try the HDRComposition process but I don't think it will work very well on this kind of task. Otherwise, you've got PI's RangeSelection for mask creation and of course PixelMath. That said, once you have combined the images you might try one of PI's stretching methods like ArcsinhStretch, AdaptiveStretch, or MaskedStretch, but these will work best with an image that is still linear. If the image is no longer in a linear format then you could use LocalHistogramEquilization or HDRMultiscaleTransform to try and recover more highlight and/or shadow detail.

I think that most people who create lunar composites using an earthshine image do it in standard image editing apps like GIMP, AffinityPhoto, or Photoshop.

#3 qswat72

qswat72

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:41 PM

I'm not sure whether there is any tool in PixInsight that will automatically handle the creation of a lunar HDR. You can try the HDRComposition process but I don't think it will work very well on this kind of task. Otherwise, you've got PI's RangeSelection for mask creation and of course PixelMath. That said, once you have combined the images you might try one of PI's stretching methods like ArcsinhStretch, AdaptiveStretch, or MaskedStretch, but these will work best with an image that is still linear. If the image is no longer in a linear format then you could use LocalHistogramEquilization or HDRMultiscaleTransform to try and recover more highlight and/or shadow detail.

I think that most people who create lunar composites using an earthshine image do it in standard image editing apps like GIMP, AffinityPhoto, or Photoshop.

Thanks for the reply! Ended up just going to GIMP which isn’t a big deal. Was more curious whether or not PI was capable of this sort of application, and the consensus on other sites was that it’d be easier to do it externally (which I would have to agree with).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics