•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another A7s thread - shutter replacement and Full Spectrum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skround

skround

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

I've just bought a knock-off A7s plagued by the infamous 'Camera Error' - the camera allegedly was dropped and the status of (what's left) of the curtain tell it all.

Was thinking about giving a try by just obliterating all the mangled blades and trick the camera. Unfortunately the camera is smarter than me and didn't get tricked - although the noise it's clearly showing that the shutter mechanism at start-up is 'working'.

This was just a try while disassembly the camera for full-spectrum modification. Still I wonder why it's not working - possibly something else is broken in the shutter but hopefully not in the rest of the camera?

My question runs a bit technical. The shutter is a Copal AFE-3313 which is almost unobtainable whereas on some sites it looks like the AFE-3360 is much more available. 

Can anybody confirm that? 

On top of that I recall somebody trying to get rid of the IR leak her eon CN - was it that successful in the end?

Thanks in advance,

Michele

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3012.JPG
  • IMG_3014.JPG
  • IMG_3016.JPG

#2 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Aurora

• Loc: UK

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:06 AM

With the A7S, although IR leaks from the shutter mechanism it never reaches the sensor if all the original shielding around the sensor is kept.

Mark

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#3 skround

skround

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:38 AM

With the A7S, although IR leaks from the shutter mechanism it never reaches the sensor if all the original shielding around the sensor is kept.

Mark

Isn't it that valid for the un-modded version where the filter is doing its job? Btw I thought there was still some residual one causing the 'signature' left purple area on A7s erroneously called amp-glow. Or am I mixing things up?

Anyway I've taken all filters off - that's why I think the camera is more prone to that opto-sensor in the shutter that pours IR... Again, I might be wrong and eager to be educated- btw I've started reading the 86 pages thread 'Is Sony still Alpha?'...I'll eventually catch-up.

Do you know about the shutter part number? AFE-3313 same as AFE-3360?

Cheers

#4 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Aurora

• Loc: UK

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:59 AM

Isn't it that valid for the un-modded version where the filter is doing its job? Btw I thought there was still some residual one causing the 'signature' left purple area on A7s erroneously called amp-glow. Or am I mixing things up?

Anyway I've taken all filters off - that's why I think the camera is more prone to that opto-sensor in the shutter that pours IR... Again, I might be wrong and eager to be educated- btw I've started reading the 86 pages thread 'Is Sony still Alpha?'...I'll eventually catch-up.

Do you know about the shutter part number? AFE-3313 same as AFE-3360?

Cheers

The residual A7S purple glow on the left side of the image is definitely amp-glow.  More accurately it is called electroluminescence because the sensor is picking up IR emitted by circuitry on the sensor.

The IR emitted from IR-LEDs in the shutter mechanism is only a problem when the filters are removed.  But in the case of the A7S these IR emissions are adequately prevented from reaching the sensor by the metal shield that holds the filters in place.  This metal shield needs to be replaced even if the filters are removed.

I've no information about the shutter part numbers.

By the way, did you try silent (electronic) shutter mode before you pulled the camera apart?  There is a possibility it might have worked even if the physical shutter is broken.

Mark

#5 skround

skround

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:40 PM

The residual A7S purple glow on the left side of the image is definitely amp-glow.  More accurately it is called electroluminescence because the sensor is picking up IR emitted by circuitry on the sensor.

The IR emitted from IR-LEDs in the shutter mechanism is only a problem when the filters are removed.  But in the case of the A7S these IR emissions are adequately prevented from reaching the sensor by the metal shield that holds the filters in place.  This metal shield needs to be replaced even if the filters are removed.

I've no information about the shutter part numbers.

By the way, did you try silent (electronic) shutter mode before you pulled the camera apart?  There is a possibility it might have worked even if the physical shutter is broken.

Mark

Thanks Mark - if you  have link to electroluminescence in sensors I'd like to further educate myself.

I was planning to use the silent shutter in lieu of the evirated physical one - regretfully the camera goes right away to 'camera error' mode unless there's a trick that I don't know about that. I reckon there's a quick 'check-list' the camera is running at start-up and if something fails in goes into this limp mode.

#6 skround

skround

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:07 PM

I think I've found out about the shutter spare PN - 3360 replaces 3313.

Posting the link for reference: https://www.dpreview.../thread/4486523

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics