•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are these eyepieces clones/copies?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:16 PM

It all started with me asking what I thought was a pretty straightforward question, but quickly became a discussion about geopolitics and trade policies.

After the long and winding discussion about those things, Starman just recently got to the issue I was asking about. According to him, perhaps the two specific eyepieces I was asking about aren't exactly clones, it might be better described as a given product masquerades as other products, but with the same specifications, it's just disquised.

In other words, it's the same product with a different brand label at a different price...

#77 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:27 PM

Yes, and there are countless examples of this in the market.

Many of the most common eyepieces are sold under as many as 8-10 different labels.

If it looks the same, has the same specs, but from 2 different companies, then the difference is the label on the eyepiece.

Sometimes the difference can be a bit more than cosmetic, such as the Stellarvue Optimus' steel lower barrel vs APM XWA' aluminum lower barrel.

Sometimes the difference is more subtle--like undercuts on the Ultra flat fields from Celestron and Meade versus the straight barrels on the APM versions.

Sometimes the difference is just the silk-screened label.

The name of the game, though, is that the companies in China will sell their eyepieces to anyone who wants to order a sufficient quantity.

Edited by Starman1, 03 August 2021 - 12:28 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, mark379, LDW47 and 1 other like this

#78 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:17 PM

That makes no sense at all. If a eyepiece is sold for less that than usual asking price, whether it be a so-called "suggested manufacturers price" or an average price of that charged by dealers, then it's a discounted price.

In the case of the eyepiece sale noted in post #70 above, the eyepiece is being sold on sale at $164. 80. The usual price for this type of eyepiece, whether you call it a suggested list price or an average dealer price is almost $200.00. So, whatever you call it, a discounted price, a sale price or a special, really doesn't matter, it's still substantially less than the usual and customary price...

Up here in Canada most items are advertised with an MSP which is provided by the manufacturer, S=Suggested  Usually the dealer sells it somewhat less but under some cases the price could be higher, its not a discount as the final selling price is determied by the dealer, they are given a free hand to set the price thats why the prices for the same item can fluctate considerably from dealer to dealer  Sure the dealers get a discount based on the quanity of an item they take from the manufacturer but should have nothing to do with this questionable issue, why should it, I think this whole thread started out with a hidden, maybe .........  If like I am talking ie dealers setting there own prices then this whole thread is rediculous, did know one here remember ' free enterprise ' ??  Discount prices are know one's but the dealers business, ever

Edited by LDW47, 03 August 2021 - 05:43 PM.

#79 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 03 August 2021 - 03:19 PM

It all started with me asking what I thought was a pretty straightforward question, but quickly became a discussion about geopolitics and trade policies.

After the long and winding discussion about those things, Starman1 just recently got to the issue I was asking about. According to him, perhaps the two specific eyepieces I was asking about aren't exactly clones, it might be better described as a given product masquerades as other products, but with the same specifications, it's just disguised.

It did wind all over the place but its not surprising given the .........

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics