•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 140 vs TS 150 (FPL-53 Doublets)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 5th Gin

5th Gin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:29 PM

Well if I was on the opposite side of fence choosing between the two?

i would have to decide where my main interests lay in either planetary or deep sky observing visually i would prefer the 150 mm refractor however not exsactly fast of being a f8 scope which the 140mm would be preferable for overall versatility in being more ideal for both visual and imaging.regardless of the minuscule aperture gain would be hardly noticeable.

I think for visual the 150mm is just better? Mounting requirement is not as high, and for visual at the same magnification the 150 is always brighter? I don't f/7 is useful for visual but might be wrong

#27 lwbehney

lwbehney

Vostok 1

Posted 31 July 2021 - 03:56 PM

I actually owned an 8" SCT and a 6" refractor at the same time and I set them up side by side in my drive one night.  The 6" on some things did out perform the SCT, but on the moon and globs the SCT spanked the refractor.  Some things showed about the same.  I thought Saturn was far better in the SCT too, but Jupiter was about the same to my eyes.

As for which 140 and 152 I was referring to, the 140 was a TEC and the 152 was a TAK - both triplets.  I know we're talking about doublets here, but the comparison was about how much the additional aperture would help and I was told it was a minor difference and not enough to justify going to the bigger tube.  Again, I didn't see for myself but was speaking to someone who had gone through the same exercise of deciding between a 140 and 152 and had looked through both scopes.  

Having owned an SCT I like the suggestion of considering a 9.25.  It will really show you a lot.  I had a 6.3 reducer that I kept on mine all the time.  I really regret selling it, but I was accumulating too much stuff and something needed to go.  I now think I chose poorly in letting my SCT go.

Hello Jon,

I also owned and compared my C8 SCT to the Lunt 152mm refractor, and found the Lunt to be better on - well everything! This is because of the contrast difference. This refractor rode perfectly well on my CGEM II. I think f/8 ED doublet refractors are the best, if you are using them visually.  If 5th Gin is wanting to look at Globular star clusters, Planetary nebulae  and faint galaxies visually, then your recommendation of the C 9.25 is very good if he takes it to a dark sky site, but all of those objects will stink in his light polluted environment. If he wants to view open clusters, double stars,  planets and the moon and wide field views, then the refractor will give sharper and wider views and we should not forget the fact that poor and mediocre seeing always favors the smaller aperture instrument. 

I say that f/8 ED 6" doublets are the best, because the slightly longer focal length allows them to get very good color correction without needing the heavy triplet lens. You need a six inch refractor to be as light as possible, because otherwise it is too awkward for one person to comfortably mount.  You are right about the value of aperture. Since 5th Gin wants to use his next purchase visually, I think the extra 10 mm will mean a lot. He will be able to see the colors in Jupiter more clearly in the six inch and the cones of the retina will have 15% more light to work with. The 150 mm f/8 will get him 240X on Mars with a nice comfortable 5 mm eyepiece at a 0.625 mm exit pupil. To reach the same magnification, the APM 140 will require a 4 mm eyepiece with a smaller exit pupil of 0.57 mm. 

-Larry

• doctordub, Jon_Doh, 5th Gin and 1 other like this

#28 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 01 August 2021 - 11:48 AM

You mean APM 140 on AZ-EQ5? Does it support long exposures well? I think CEM40 is actually in the class of EQ6, so if EQ5 supports 140 well CEM40 should support 150 well also.

Can[t say whether it supports long exposures as I don't do astrophotography, but the mount handles the refractor just fine and I wouldn't see a reason it couldn't handle it.

• 5th Gin likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics