•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I want to buy an 8 inch F5 newtonian

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 pannu.sahab

pannu.sahab

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:47 AM

I want to buy an 8 inch F5 Newtonian so i have two choices either

Orion 203mm f/4.9 https://www.telescop...mbly/p/9788.uts

or

GSO 8" f/5 Newtonian https://agenaastro.c...lector-ota.html

I think GSO scope has a superior mirror and would be a better choice

but i have listened some people say that Orion scopes are just re-branded GSO scopes so are these two scopes the same or their is some difference in them and GSO one is better scope  

#2 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Possibly Bortle 8-9, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:46 AM

I think it might be a rebranded gso- but maybe the skywatcher 200p explorer has a better tube-I don't know for sure-but maybe yes-If you want to image then maybe you should go for the skywatcher-maybe even get a skywatcher quattro f4-I believe the 200p explorer is f5. To keep to excessive (as per your terms) tube flexure or POSSIBLY flexure in the imaging train(cameras, filter wheels, possibly OAG, coma corrector, etc)at bay*, then you might want to go for a carbon fiber tube telescope and a replace the focuser with a more rigid one if you want-But then some 'premium' newtonians(newts) already have good ones. Its not likely you will regret getting a telescope with a carbon fiber tube and a good focuser. A carbon fiber newtonian-(TS Photon 8" F4)-

https://www.teleskop.../en/info/p10260

I don't know much-you can ask other people around here for more information-Also, the statements I made might be incorrect-Maybe other people here can clarify

DISCLAIMER-I am not saying that you SHOULD buy anything in this entire post-I am just suggesting some items

*I think some flexure in the OTA(Optical Tube Assembly) and imaging train will still be present if you implement upgrades-but it might possibly be worth it-its very likely you'll be satisfied with Carbon Fiber tube newtonian and a good focuser-No, I don't think its necessary to get a MoonLite focuser right away if you are starting astrophotography.

For visual-You might want a Dobsonian(Dob)-But you might get interested in astrophotography in the future-So then you might consider gettting an OTA like I said and hitching it on (if you want to-better than Alt-Az(Altitude Azimuth) mounts for two reasons-Alt Az mounts usually move in two axes(plural of axis) and because of field rotation) a GEM(German Equatorial Mount).

Edited by Ayaan Hashim, 26 July 2021 - 07:59 AM.

#3 Lighthound

Lighthound

Vostok 1

• Loc: Upper Ohio River Valley

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:08 AM

This is what I have.

https://explorescien...20839-newtonian

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:28 AM

I think it might be a rebranded gso- but maybe the skywatcher 200p explorer has a better tube-I don't know for sure-but maybe yes-If you want to image then maybe you should go for the skywatcher-maybe even get a skywatcher quattro f4-I believe the 200p explorer is f5. To keep to excessive (as per your terms) tube flexure or POSSIBLY flexure in the imaging train(cameras, filter wheels, possibly OAG, coma corrector, etc)at bay*, then you might want to go for a carbon fiber tube telescope and a replace the focuser with a more rigid one if you want-But then some 'premium' newtonians(newts) already have good ones. Its not likely you will regret getting a telescope with a carbon fiber tube and a good focuser. A carbon fiber newtonian-(TS Photon 8" F4)-

https://www.teleskop.../en/info/p10260

I don't know much-you can ask other people around here for more information-Also, the statements I made might be incorrect-Maybe other people here can clarify

DISCLAIMER-I am not saying that you SHOULD buy anything in this entire post-I am just suggesting some items

*I think some flexure in the OTA(Optical Tube Assembly) and imaging train will still be present if you implement upgrades-but it might possibly be worth it-its very likely you'll be satisfied with Carbon Fiber tube newtonian and a good focuser-No, I don't think its necessary to get a MoonLite focuser right away if you are starting astrophotography.

For visual-You might want a Dobsonian(Dob)-But you might get interested in astrophotography in the future-So then you might consider gettting an OTA like I said and hitching it on (if you want to-better than Alt-Az(Altitude Azimuth) mounts for two reasons-Alt Az mounts usually move in two axes(plural of axis) and because of field rotation) a GEM(German Equatorial Mount).

I have a skywatcher 300p and there is ZERO flexure in the OTA. Its super solid. I imagine the 200p would be the same.

• Dobs O Fun likes this

#5 Gipht

Gipht

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:39 AM

The GSO only mentions viewing and not photography.  It could be set up such that a camera would not come to focus.

#6 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:14 AM

or

but i have listened some people say that Orion scopes are just re-branded GSO scopes so are these two scopes the same or their is some difference in them and GSO one is better scope  

Many scopes use optics from the same Asian optics manufacturing facilities.  They may be the identical optics, they may differ somewhat.   Not doubt that sometimes different telescope manufacturers have different standards that they specify to the facility.   They may use different pieces like focusers.

The bottom line is that you have to compare the specific scopes.  You can't say "X is just rebranded Y".  Sometimes they are.  Sometimes they are not.

That's somewhat annoying, but it's unavoidable.

Edited by bobzeq25, 26 July 2021 - 09:15 AM.

#7 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:15 AM

Following on with Ayaan’s comment regarding the TS scopes, I’d encourage you to take a look at the TS ONTC scopes. They have a thick CF tube that’s made in Germany, the scope has three locations for the primary and a wide selection of focusers to select from. They also assemble and fully test, calibrate and collimate the components there in the Munich area. Here’s a link to the 8” F5 but they also have F4 and F4.5 as well as other apertures. 

https://www.teleskop...stomizable.html

I have the 200 mm F4 UNC version and it has been terrific and hardly needs collimation. I have it mounted with the drawtube down but I take it off my permanent mount after each use since the Telegizmo cover leaks and doesn’t keep the scope cool enough. If I were to buy again, I’d get the TS ONTC for the focuser options, thicker CF tube and the flexibility in locating the primary to reach focus under varying observing goals.

Gary

#8 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:57 AM

*203 f4 according to manufacturer's specificationslol.gif.

#9 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 08:45 PM

The Orion 8" f/4.9 is a Synta mirror and scope.  GSO and Synta both make quality mirrors these days,  though I tend to favor the Synta's.

#10 MeridianStarGazer

MeridianStarGazer

Voyager 1

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:06 PM

or

I think Orion's may currently be Synta, not GSO. Or at least they used to.

I don't know which if either is better quality. I notice that price often depends on what accessories are being offered at the time. Also look at their customer service.

• spaceoddity likes this

#11 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2021 - 09:12 PM

If I was looking for some serious resolution in the 6-8" scopes range, I would consider the skywatcher 190mm Maksutov Newtonian, also known as a Mak-Newt.

It weights about 10kg, though, and I don't know if you actually get diffraction spikes in images by that monster of 190mm telescope.

#12 daquad

daquad

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:35 PM

I believe the Orion SkyLine scopes are Synta and the SkyQuest scopes are GSO.  I've used Newtonians from 6 to 10-inch apertures from both manufacturers and see no difference in optical quality between the two brands, which is very good; not Zambuto good, perhaps, but the star tests that I have done appear to be very close on either side of focus and I have never seen a trace of astigmatism with either brand.

Dom Q.

• spaceoddity likes this

#13 Spile

Spile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:15 PM

I am very  happy with the performance of the  200P

https://astro.catshi...st-impressions/

Edited by Spile, 27 July 2021 - 05:16 PM.

#14 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:59 AM

My 300p had very slight astig in the secondary....but hard to detect. The primary is excellent. I swapped the secondary for a GSO which is perfect, so far as i can tell!

#15 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

Not the same scopes but very similar. The Orion is made by Synta, not GSO. Synta and GSO are 2 of largest Chinese manufacturers of telescopes and telescopic gear. The mirrors should be very close in quality and I would bet that they will both perform well. The main difference is the GSO has a better 2-speed focuser and it also comes with tube rings and a finder scope while the Orion does not. The Orion mirror is actually a hair bigger - a full 8", 203 mm vs 200 mm. That's not enough to be concerned about however. Do you have a capable mount and tripod for the scope?

• havasman likes this

#16 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:43 PM

I believe the Orion SkyLine scopes are Synta and the SkyQuest scopes are GSO.  I've used Newtonians from 6 to 10-inch apertures from both manufacturers and see no difference in optical quality between the two brands, which is very good; not Zambuto good, perhaps, but the star tests that I have done appear to be very close on either side of focus and I have never seen a trace of astigmatism with either brand.

Dom Q.

"I believe the Orion SkyLine scopes are Synta and the SkyQuest scopes are GSO"

Actually,  just the opposite is true.

• daquad likes this

#17 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:37 PM

The Orion scope in the OP's link is NLA, no longer available, not for sale, no longer available for purchase. That info is from the supplied link to telescopes.com, the Orion site. So that makes it hard to recommend. But it makes the choice between the two pretty easy.

It's a pittance difference between the two performance-wise, as spaceoddity said. And there's going to be pretty important differences in an f5 and an f4 or faster astrograph. So if the OP's intending to do visual astronomy, buy a Dob. If AP's the goal, maybe a refractor's the best.

#18 Alterf

Alterf

Viking 1

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:45 PM

I had that Orion scope, the 203mm f/4.9.  I mounted it on a Universal Astronomics mount on a tripod.  It worked fine because it was quite light.  The mirror was good enough that, when I finally had my astrograph assembled, I used the primary mirror from the Orion scope in the new imaging scope.

Val

#19 daquad

daquad

Vanguard

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:17 AM

"I believe the Orion SkyLine scopes are Synta and the SkyQuest scopes are GSO"

Actually,  just the opposite is true.

You are right.  I got them mixed up.  Thanks for the correction.

Dom Q.

#20 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:36 PM

I image with the Orion 4.9 203mm. I highly reccomend a better tube. I have done major enhancements to get this telescope to image well. Try quattro or maybe even Orions astrograph. Its not an impossible task but it is a frustrating one.

Here is my latest photo with it. My processing needs alot of work and this imaging session was horrible, smoke creeping in and veherrrry low target.

HA only (was the best set of data)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...2pDfA_tTpggX_Zl

Full color (SHO)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...3DDvwHvda1pDiYc

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210801_193557_compress88.jpg

Edited by Fitz8710, 01 August 2021 - 08:32 PM.

#21 BDS316

BDS316

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:53 AM

I'm wondering why you concluded that the GSO would have a better mirror than the Orion (Synta).  It's usually luck of the draw, and the faster the focal ratio the greater the chance of winding up with a subpar mirror.

You'd have a better chance of winding up with a decent mirror by going to f/6 if you'd be willing to do that.

#22 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 07 August 2021 - 03:58 PM

Following on with Ayaan’s comment regarding the TS scopes, I’d encourage you to take a look at the TS ONTC scopes. They have a thick CF tube that’s made in Germany, the scope has three locations for the primary and a wide selection of focusers to select from. They also assemble and fully test, calibrate and collimate the components there in the Munich area. Here’s a link to the 8” F5 but they also have F4 and F4.5 as well as other apertures. 

https://www.teleskop...stomizable.html

I have the 200 mm F4 UNC version and it has been terrific and hardly needs collimation. I have it mounted with the drawtube down but I take it off my permanent mount after each use since the Telegizmo cover leaks and doesn’t keep the scope cool enough. If I were to buy again, I’d get the TS ONTC for the focuser options, thicker CF tube and the flexibility in locating the primary to reach focus under varying observing goals.

Gary

I'm also looking for a fast newt for astrophotography and am seriously considering one of these ONTC scopes from TS. Did you have any trouble having yours shipped over from Germany? 

#23 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 07 August 2021 - 04:54 PM

No problems at all. I have the UNC F4 which has been great for EAA and is doing well so far for photometry. As I mentioned, I’d get the ONTC if I were buying over again. I’d also be looking at the OrionUK newtonians - made in England. TS had their mirrors and components in some of their scopes. 
Gary

#24 TopherTheME

TopherTheME

Viking 1

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 08 August 2021 - 09:17 PM

I've been looking at Orion Optics UK as well but have read a lot of mixed things about them. False or exaggerated optics reports, very long delays, and poor quality mechanics. Seems like people have had either really great or really bad luck with them. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics