•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher AZ EQ Avant vs Starquest mount-Arduino Mod

Astrophotography EQ Eyepieces Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Possibly Bortle 8-9, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:00 AM

Hello all,

Here is a question about these entry-grade(?) mounts-

Are they actually the same? If they are different, which one is better(lower backlash, etc)?-I think the mounting plates are different-The Starquest seems to have a dovetail and the Avant seems to have that camera mounting screw.

I have seen a video on youtube on a DIY Arduino mount with a star adventurer mounting plate- like the one on the starquest-here-

https://www.youtube....h?v=uSWVflUNAm8

Is it better than these two mounts with their drives autoguided? If I go with the Arduino mount, how can I autoguide?

If I connect encoders to the mount-like 2500 ppr encoders-how can I potentially increase the resolution? If I go with a Hall Sensor instead, does the Hall sensor have the ability to position a telescope on a mount in a given direction? Can that 'count steps/ticks' like the encoder?

Thanks for replying in advance,

Ayaan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, EQ, Eyepieces, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics