•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ-GTi Mount and TheSkyX

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darem9

darem9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:24 PM

Good day, fellow amateur astronomers!

I recently purchased the AZ-GTi Mount (WIFI connection) and wonder how I can connect it to TheSkyX? The mount itself isn't listed, 

I also searched the internet for a how-to, but failed miserably.

Can you help? Is it possible? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Bernhard

#2 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

Your best bet with a TSX question is to post on the Bisque forum. Be sure to post which version of TSX you have as there is significant differences between the imaging suite and the serious edition. 

I would first try an Ascom driver from SkyWatcher. This will require using Windows. I doubt any of the Skywatcher drivers will support wifi connection. This might be the easiest way if you are not on a Mac or Linix. 

It is also possible you can select the Sky Watcher SynScan Alt/Az Mode and get that to connect. It appears to support a TCP connection under the settings dialog box. 

#3 darem9

darem9

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

Thanks, Dave, good advice.

#4 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:01 PM

No problem, I hope you get it working. 

I will say after a bit more contemplation that I don't recommend wifi connections to the mount. I have wifi on my Paramount MX+ and never use it. I always use a USB cable instead. Getting the wifi connected to a local network are simply far from simple or plug and play. They are also not particularly reliable. 

#5 bmcclana

bmcclana

Vostok 1

• Loc: Central CT, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:23 AM

I use the synscan Pro app on windows to control the GTi through either serial or WiFi. Then I use the synscan pro app ASCOM driver to connect all my other devices to the app. Sky chart/stallarium, sharpcap etc.

so if the SkyX (I know nothing about it) can connect to an ASCOM mount driver I don’t see why this wouldn’t work also.

#6 cdavid

cdavid

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, Massachusetts

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:20 PM

Yes, you need to download the SynScan ascom driver and desktop app from skywatchers site.

Turn on the azgti and then connect to its WiFi using your computer. Launch SynScan and connect to the mount.

Launch SKYX and choose the ascom driver then connect to the mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics