•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first ever Jupiter and Saturn (23 July 2021)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sualocin

Sualocin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:28 PM

Hi folks,

I don't usally post pictures on CN because I am a very beginner, and It already takes me a lot of time to set up everything, capture and process images; moreover, I am doing more EAA than Hi-res. Anyway, three nights ago I tried for the first time my new planetary imaging setup, consisting of an ASI 290MM, an Explore Scientific Focal Extender (2X), a ZWO EFW and the Baader RGB filters (I didn't use the Luminance filter). So, these are my very first images of Jupiter and Saturn, taken on 23 July from a pretty dark location on a high hill in Sicily.

I've surely made a lot of mistakes, but I must confess that I'm not unhappy with the results! I used Firecapture, then processed the three .ser videos with AS!, improved each channel separately with Registax, and finally composed the RGB images in GIMP.

Regarding exposure and gain, I set 33,3 msec. with 170-180 gain for Jupiter, and 100-130 ms and 230-260 gain for Saturn. What do you think about that? Maybe the gain for Saturn was a bit too high, the image looks noisy (and I probably failed to perfectly align the three channels in GIMP...).

I'm totally open to criticism, advices, and any other kind of comment. Tonight I'm setting up everything again, even if there's a bit of saharan dust in the sky, brought by the wind.

Attached Thumbnails

• Primo Giove -3.jpeg
  • Saturn RGB.jpeg

• TorstenEdelmann, Sunspot, Magellanico and 33 others like this

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

that’s very impressive well done.

• Sualocin likes this

#3 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:05 PM

These are very good, Sualocin! Lots of fine cloud details on Jupiter, and very clear banding on Saturn. I'd encourage you to post your images here more often! My only suggestion would be to work a little on the colour balance for Jupiter, which looks very pink, even in cloud bands that should look white. That should be easy to fix, though.

• Sualocin likes this

#4 hornjs

hornjs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:13 PM

Really great Sualocin!  Would you mind sharing a picture of your imaging train on the back of your SCT?  Thanks.  

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:19 PM

Really great Sualocin!  Would you mind sharing a picture of your imaging train on the back of your SCT?  Thanks.  

Lol wouldn’t that be a trade secret?

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:56 PM

Truly excellent for a first go, much better than my first attempt! :)

A couple of pointers, you can capture at much higher gains and much faster framerates, for instance I use a gain around 280, shutter speed of 6.66ms to give me 150 fps on Jupiter, gain 370, shutter speed 10 ms to give me 100 fps on Saturn. The more frames you capture, the better stacking works and the lower the final noise. Yes, it will look quite noisy on the screen during capture, but the stacking process takes care of all that.

Keep posting please!

Andrew

• happylimpet and Sualocin like this

#7 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Messenger

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:21 PM

That's really nice for a first, or any other, capture! As Ray said, the only criticism to me would be color balance, but I would be happy with the detail you have captured.

Tim

• Sualocin likes this

#8 Sualocin

Sualocin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:32 AM

Thank you KiwiRay, Tulloch and Tim J Fowler for your advices and thanks all of you for the encouragement! My Jupiter was definitively too pink, so I prepared another version: maybe still too reddish - comparing to other pics I see on CN and elsewhere - but it seemed to me that most of the data were in the red channel... Anyway, I think I need to improve the whole post processing!

Attached Thumbnails

• RGB.jpeg

Edited by Sualocin, 27 July 2021 - 02:35 AM.

• russ75, RedLionNJ, Ed D and 3 others like this

#9 Sualocin

Sualocin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:47 AM

Sure, here it is

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20210727_211713 (2).jpg

#10 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:26 AM

that Jupiter blows away many from my ten foot long 16 incher

#11 Sualocin

Sualocin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:14 AM

Yesterday I worked on another set of RGB frames taken the same night, with a 33.3ms exposure. I paid more attention to the color balance, thanks to your advices, but I guess I should better study post-processing techniques.

Next time I will try different exp./gain settings, as well as a Luminance filter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 23 July.jpg

• russ75, Ed D, KiwiRay and 3 others like this

#12 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:28 AM

Those are absurdly good first images. Well done!

#13 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:30 PM

That new image is first class - well done!

Ray

#14 Googaliser

Googaliser

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Western Australia

Posted 01 August 2021 - 12:59 AM

Amazing image - congratulations !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics