•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question on Sharpcap Darks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

I have taken dark frames before of course, but with cameras of plenty of amp glow I don't seem to be able to calibrate the glow out completely, or the darks over compensate during live stacking and I see a purplish /brownish outline of the amp glow on the right. 

How do you guy take the darks?  

How many darks do you usually take?   I have tried 10, 20, 30, I'm not sure what's the magic number or if there is any benefit taking even more? 

I assume you know already what exposure and gain you gonna use or already have an extensive library of darks for all combos of exposure+gain+offset? 

I also try using just the flat with the dark flat combination in sharpcap, but that won't help with amp glow. 

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:15 PM

I take them using Sharpcap's 'Capture Darks' process. My ASI294 mc is prone to amp glow and the SC process always eliminates amp glow and hot pixels.

• Mark Lovik likes this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:28 PM

I take darks at the same gain, exposure and temperature settings as my lights and use at least 15 darks to create a master dark. DId you make sure that the temperature for your master dark matches the temperature of your lights (to within at most a few degrees)? If you have a temperature mismatch, that might show in residual amp glow even if you match exposure and gain.

#4 Clouzot

Clouzot

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: French Riviera

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:29 AM

I take darks at the same gain, exposure and temperature settings as my lights and use at least 15 darks to create a master dark. DId you make sure that the temperature for your master dark matches the temperature of your lights (to within at most a few degrees)? If you have a temperature mismatch, that might show in residual amp glow even if you match exposure and gain.

In addition to what Errol suggests, also make sure the brightness/offset camera setting is the same as for your lights. That's one thing that may give overcorrecting darks. That setting may have been changed by, say, the famous Sharpcap "Brain"...

• alphatripleplus and hemacp like this

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:38 AM

Yes, Clouzot makes a good point on using the same brightness/offset setting.(One other mistake I have almost made is trying to use a dark with different binning from a light,  e.g. 2x2 vs 1x1, but most EAA software won't let you subtract different binned darks from lights.)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics