•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My First Decent Jupiter, 23 July 21

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny V.

Kenny V.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 01:44 PM

Jupiter from Cattle Point on Friday, 23 July 21, at an elevation of 28 degrees above the horizon.

I have struggled to get some decent detail from Jupiter, but I feel like I'm making progress with this image.
Almost no wind and at least average seeing conditions on this evening.

Taken with the Meade 12" LX200GPS SCT, a ZWO Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector, a Baader UV/IR cut filter, an ES 3X focal extender and the ZWO ASI174MC (exp. 8.93 ms, gain 300) with SharpCap Pro.
This is the best 30% of 16180 frames. Processed in AS!3, Registax, Astra Image, and PSE.

1jupiter23july21a1a1.jpg

Any advice on how to improve on this image would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Ken

Edited by Kenny V., 26 July 2021 - 02:29 PM.

• Sunspot, Magellanico, lukasik and 26 others like this

#2 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:01 PM

Looks great to me! Wish I could do as well.

• Kenny V. and brentknight like this

#3 Kenny V.

Kenny V.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:33 PM

Looks great to me! Wish I could do as well.

Thank you, very kind of you to chime in.

Ken

#4 Lopper

Lopper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

That's a really nice Jupiter pic! Have you ever tried starting with deconvolution and then using a gentle wavelet sharpening afterwards? I think it was moonwatching ferret who got me hooked on deconvolution a while back and I found that my Jupiter and Saturn images came out much better that way. I use Fitswork4 for the deconvolution and then just a gentle tap on the wavelets in Registax6.

Matt

• Kenny V. likes this

#5 Kenny V.

Kenny V.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:49 PM

That's a really nice Jupiter pic! Have you ever tried starting with deconvolution and then using a gentle wavelet sharpening afterwards? I think it was moonwatching ferret who got me hooked on deconvolution a while back and I found that my Jupiter and Saturn images came out much better that way. I use Fitswork4 for the deconvolution and then just a gentle tap on the wavelets in Registax6.

Matt

Thank you for your kind comments, Matt.

I too am an adherent of the deconvolution. It is the next step I perform after stacking and RGB balance in Registax.

I don't use wavelets anymore (sorry). I deconvolve and then use sharpening. I found wavelets were giving me a harsh look that I didn't care for. I'm sure it was operator error. On my next image, I will try a "gentle tap" on wavelets. AstraImage is my weapon of choice. I like its control over levels of tool functions.

Ken

Edited by Kenny V., 27 July 2021 - 01:11 PM.

• Lopper likes this

#6 tboss70

tboss70

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:27 AM

Ken i think this looks great. The processing doesnt look too harsh; colors look great. I feel like this is about as good as it gets without better seeing and a higher altitude. I wish I could stay up late enough to image at 28 degrees but i need my sleep for work the next day. I may try staying up a little later tonight knowing there's just one more work day before the weekend laugh.gif

• Kenny V. likes this

#7 Kenny V.

Kenny V.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:19 PM

Ken i think this looks great. The processing doesnt look too harsh; colors look great. I feel like this is about as good as it gets without better seeing and a higher altitude. I wish I could stay up late enough to image at 28 degrees but i need my sleep for work the next day. I may try staying up a little later tonight knowing there's just one more work day before the weekend laugh.gif

Thank you, tboss, for the kind words.

I hear you about staying up late on a school night. 5:20 AM seems to be coming earlier every year....

Ken

• tboss70 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics