•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY Lithium Portable Power

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 don314

don314

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:20 PM

Farzad-K

I purchased the recommend charger from the manufacture.  It's  a standard brick type, with removable 120V cord, I cut the end off and installed Anderson Power Poles to connect to the battery (see Photo above).

• Farzad_K likes this

#27 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:02 PM

Farzad-K

I purchased the recommend charger from the manufacture.  It's  a standard brick type, with removable 120V cord, I cut the end off and installed Anderson Power Poles to connect to the battery (see Photo above).

I can't see the charger in your photo, but can understand you are using the recommended charger and it is no different from standard brick.

I have a few bricks at home meant to charge laptop batteries. I could try them out too, but would rather see what the vendor has to offer. If it is a high quality, robust kind of a charger I might opt for it.

Farzad

#28 don314

don314

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:13 PM

I can't see the charger in your photo, but can understand you are using the recommended charger and it is no different from standard brick.

I have a few bricks at home meant to charge laptop batteries. I could try them out too, but would rather see what the vendor has to offer. If it is a high quality, robust kind of a charger I might opt for it.

Farzad

I was referring to the Anderson power poles in the photo that are on the battery wires.  I'm NOT saying the the charge is a standard charge!  It was the charger that the manufactures sells with their brand name on it, and that they recommended for charging this battery.  These batteries are not cheap, I'm not a chemist, so I don't know the chemical reactions going on inside the battery when charging, and not wanting to brick the battery by improper charging, I went with their recommend battery charger. 

• Farzad_K likes this

#29 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:27 PM

I was referring to the Anderson power poles in the photo that are on the battery wires.  I'm NOT saying the the charge is a standard charge!  It was the charger that the manufactures sells with their brand name on it, and that they recommended for charging this battery.  These batteries are not cheap, I'm not a chemist, so I don't know the chemical reactions going on inside the battery when charging, and not wanting to brick the battery by improper charging, I went with their recommend battery charger. 

Okay, I understand now. I am leaning towards getting their recommended charger. If for nothing else, they won't have my charger to blame if something isn't working and I reach out to support. Also - I will be charging mine solar, when in the field. So I will have to think about how the solar controller/charger comes into picture with the batteries that I get. I am getting a 12v 40Ah one and something less powerful for smaller appliances on my rig as others seem to have done.

#30 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:40 PM

For anyone interested: A great blog on charging LiFePO4 batteries and why dedicated charger is recommended:

https://www.power-so...epo4-batteries/

• scadvice likes this

#31 jlecomte

jlecomte

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:41 PM

Check out my CloudNights post where I describe my battery box project and lists all the components:

https://www.cloudyni...ry-box-project/

Hope this help!

• Farzad_K likes this

#32 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:55 PM

Check out my CloudNights post where I describe my battery box project and lists all the components:

https://www.cloudyni...ry-box-project/

Hope this help!

Looks interesting and sophisticated. I started out with 35Ah AGM batteries and built 2 boxes of them and designed them such that I could plug them into each other for higher total amperage and also if I wanted (and had enough time) to charge them together. One problem I had was the wires kept coming off the various ports and I used to deal with them until I got tired of it and pulled the batteries out and abandoned the boxes. My new plan is to build a panel with all the stuff that I want or need, and attach the battery to the panel. One line coming out of a simple box and going into a complex panel. At least this is what I am imagining. But hey, with the way this world has been, I would be happy if I could go out and will gladly haul my 2 35Ah AGM batteries and connect them to my rigrunner.

Also I noticed the link to the battery takes you to 12V 6Ah Miady which is not the battery you said you used. You might want to check it out.

Thanks for sharing, I will visit often to see what you have done when I start my project.

#33 mdavister

mdavister

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

I built my own LiFePo battery pack using 28650 cells that were re-claimed from a medical battery pack.

BatBox 002
BatBox 003

It involved separating the cells and spot welding new nickel strips. The spacers were 3D printed to allow for airflow between the cells. 

As for equipment, I purchased an old Unitek spot welder on ebay. I'm sure I have more money into it than one would have cost, but I enjoy designing and building.

• Farzad_K likes this

#34 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:19 AM

I built my own LiFePo battery pack using 28650 cells that were re-claimed from a medical battery pack.

It involved separating the cells and spot welding new nickel strips. The spacers were 3D printed to allow for airflow between the cells. 

As for equipment, I purchased an old Unitek spot welder on ebay. I'm sure I have more money into it than one would have cost, but I enjoy designing and building.

Knowing what you are doing is never underrated. I wished I could do the same thing, but I know when I get into something new it becomes a hobby in and of itself - better to avoid spending thousands to build something I can buy for hundreds :)

#35 mdavister

mdavister

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

Knowing what you are doing is never underrated. I wished I could do the same thing, but I know when I get into something new it becomes a hobby in and of itself - better to avoid spending thousands to build something I can buy for hundreds smile.gif

There is a lot of good information out online on how to do this. Remember that a lot of this "tech" is built by regular people with limited training, and supplied materials by the lowest bidder.

When I built this, the spacers for the 28650's were hard to find, now they are much more plentiful. The only other things needed are a spot welder and the nickel strips. Imported spot welders could be had for around $100. Doesn't make sense for just one pack, but start building two or three and it starts making financial sense.

• Farzad_K likes this

#36 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:14 PM

There is a lot of good information out online on how to do this. Remember that a lot of this "tech" is built by regular people with limited training, and supplied materials by the lowest bidder.

When I built this, the spacers for the 28650's were hard to find, now they are much more plentiful. The only other things needed are a spot welder and the nickel strips. Imported spot welders could be had for around $100. Doesn't make sense for just one pack, but start building two or three and it starts making financial sense.

Yes, I know, and I have been watching and reading, and I know that in my case, at the end of the day I want a battery that is easier to carry into the field. I am going to not get into this hobby :)

#37 Farzad_K

Farzad_K

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:29 PM

Where did you go for the reclaimed batteries in your area? I am in Portland, Oregon.

#38 phototech

phototech

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:55 PM

I described my setup to our local club over zoom

https://youtu.be/TKGIs0NH6X0

• Farzad_K likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics