•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Heat and telescope Storage issue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Taoist8750

Taoist8750

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:01 PM

I am getting tired of hauling my telescope and mount in and out of the house and am considering just leaving it in my shed in my backyard.  It does not have air.  It does have electricity to it and I could probably buy a window mounted air unit.

I wanted to know if extreme heat will damage my telescope components and mount?  I live in Texas where the heat in mid summer is well over 110 outside and in my shed can easily get up to probably 125-130+.  And vice versa for winter, could cold damage the components?

Someday I dream to build an observatory.

What do you all know about this?

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:37 PM

The heat used to make glass and metal is far higher than the 130-deg. F. temps in the shed.  I wouldn't worry about it.

• Astrola72 likes this

#3 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:52 PM

I left a nice flat piece of 0.063" Kydex (my dew shield for my 12" dob) on my deck once.  it was a nice sunny summer day in Ohio (maybe 80F).  when I discovered what I had done, it was curled up like a pretzel.  sheet metal, paint, glass, no problem with 130F.  plastics, I would be careful.

• PNW and Scott123 like this

#4 Chris MN

Chris MN

Explorer 1

• Loc: Cedar, MN

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:14 PM

As far as the cold, I am in MN and my C11 on an MI-250 is outside along with all the imaging equipment and associated hardware.  The biggest problem with cold is not with the equipment but the cables.  They don't like to flex below 0 degrees F (or even below 32 sometimes).  Never an issue with the actual equipment though. 

It is funny to see the cooling % on the ST8XME read like 15% when it is 0 degrees or so (cooling set to -30).  Barely working to cool that sensor!

Chris N

Cedar, MN

#5 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:14 PM

With the telescope unpowered 130F is just about OK for storage, in theory.

In practice I would be a little concerned about two things,

Constant heating and cooling over a wide range will stress a lot of components. Lens mountings would worry me most. They ought to be Ok but just one tight lens cell.... Any thing with an LCD display is going to hate it.

Grease and oils in the mount will migrate. You'd want to regrease every year or so.

As Mike has said, plastics are getting near their limit at 130F. Any higher and they will likely deform.

So I dont think you need a cooler, but rather a ventilator.

• ngc7319_20 likes this

#6 Taoist8750

Taoist8750

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:27 PM

Thanks folks.  I think I will just continue with the in and out.  Not worth the risk.

• wrvond likes this

#7 ngc7319_20

ngc7319_20

Vanguard

• Loc: MD

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:42 PM

I would add that grease will evaporate from mechanisms like focuser and mount, and then re-condense on everything including the optics.

#8 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:00 PM

I’d checked with the vendors and review spec sheets. I found my mount gear was ok to 123F but I’m still not leaving it out above  110F and I have a Bluetooth T/H sensor mounted on the mount saddle. 

You might consider a permanent pier with the mount and scope inside a moteloscope:  https://www.pierplates.com/motel.html

I believe the insulated enclosure keeps things at reasonable temps. If not, you can add an intake louver and exhaust fan on the opposite side and inside temp should equal outside Temp. Read their testing info and you’ll probably be satisfied. I’ve assessed this enclosure and am building the pier for it soon. I’ll have the enclosure ready for the New England winter. 
good luck 

Gary

Edited by GaryShaw, 26 July 2021 - 05:05 PM.

#9 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:29 PM

Properly-installed radiant barrier under the roof trusses and passive ventilation should be adequate. Works for me here in Maryland. If that's not adequate I'm sure powered ventilation would do the trick.

Joe

#10 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:17 AM

I live in Australia and we experience similar summer temperatures. I have kept on SCT in an outdoor observatory for 10 years, and a second SCT for 4 years. There are two things you can do. If the sun is shining use a solar panel to drive some 12v exhaust fans to expel air from the observatory. Just match the number of fans to the panel's power output. Mount the fans high up in the structure to remove the warmest air. The second is to cover the observatory with a reflective shade cover leaving an air gap. In the image below you can see I just use a reflective tarpaulin, cost maybe $20 or so and it is pretty tough. It is held in place by steel cables. Every few years the tarpaulin needs to be replaced. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2588.jpg

• Stevegeo likes this

#11 Taoist8750

Taoist8750

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:05 AM

I’d checked with the vendors and review spec sheets. I found my mount gear was ok to 123F but I’m still not leaving it out above  110F and I have a Bluetooth T/H sensor mounted on the mount saddle. 

You might consider a permanent pier with the mount and scope inside a moteloscope:  https://www.pierplates.com/motel.html

I believe the insulated enclosure keeps things at reasonable temps. If not, you can add an intake louver and exhaust fan on the opposite side and inside temp should equal outside Temp. Read their testing info and you’ll probably be satisfied. I’ve assessed this enclosure and am building the pier for it soon. I’ll have the enclosure ready for the New England winter. 
good luck 

Gary

INteresting set up.  I will look inot this moteloscope.

#12 Taoist8750

Taoist8750

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:05 AM

I live in Australia and we experience similar summer temperatures. I have kept on SCT in an outdoor observatory for 10 years, and a second SCT for 4 years. There are two things you can do. If the sun is shining use a solar panel to drive some 12v exhaust fans to expel air from the observatory. Just match the number of fans to the panel's power output. Mount the fans high up in the structure to remove the warmest air. The second is to cover the observatory with a reflective shade cover leaving an air gap. In the image below you can see I just use a reflective tarpaulin, cost maybe $20 or so and it is pretty tough. It is held in place by steel cables. Every few years the tarpaulin needs to be replaced. 

Nice set up dude.

• Visit-the-Moon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics