•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rare Io Transit With Partial Shadow Occultation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 evrimi

evrimi

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:04 PM

Some 25 or so years ago, during Jupiter opposition I observed one of its moons partially occult its own shadow, making it into a crescent shape.  I'm not sure which moon it was, but it was easily seen with a C11 stopped down to 5 inches.  This type of event will only occur within a day or two of opposition.

On Aug 19 this year, from about 10PM EDT to midnight, Io will transit and occult approx half its shadow.  The non-occulted part of the shadow should be visible as a crescent shape.

I have attached a pdf of the view as simulated using Guide 9.1.

Clear skies, please!

Evan Miller

Attached File  Io transit and shadow occultation Aug 19 2021.pdf   302.79KB   44 downloads

• Special Ed, ShaulaB, BradFran and 1 other like this

#2 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

I saw one of those long ago. Not remembering now which moon. Was totally unexpected at the time. Took me a few minutes to decode what I was seeing - yes - it is an opposition event.

I will try and remember the date for this one. Would love to see it again - soooo cool!

Thanks for the heads up.

waytogo.gif

Edited by siriusandthepup, 26 July 2021 - 03:39 PM.

#3 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:36 PM

August 16 is another night I have my eye on, when Ganymede occults Europa. Then soon after their respective shadows merge together.

• Dave Mitsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics