•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Frustration with Guiding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UnguardedPeach

UnguardedPeach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:08 PM

Hey everyone, I've been struggling with guiding for a while but with my refractor at 376mm, it wasn't really an issue. I could get 5 min subs no problem. However, I've upgraded to an 8" Edge HD at 2000mm and I can't even get a 2 min sub without trails. I had some backlash in my RA and I hypertuned the gears hoping that would fix it but I'm not sure if I didn't do it correctly or what might be going on. Here is a screen capture of my guiding graph: https://imgur.com/a/WSLGZkh. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• Guiding.JPG

Edited by UnguardedPeach, 26 July 2021 - 03:09 PM.

• teashea likes this

#2 epdreher

epdreher

Apollo

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:26 PM

Have you run the Guiding Assistant since the scope change?  Your RA doesn't look sufficiently aggressive, so I'd do that and look for suggestions from it first.

Then mosey on over to the PHD2 group online for further help.  They'll certainly have much for you to try.

#3 nemo129

nemo129

Soyuz

• Loc: WMass

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:28 PM

You need to provide some more information. Are you still using a guidescope with the EdgeHD800? What is the guide camera? What is the main imaging camera. If you are still using a guidescope, you might want to consider an OAG instead with an SCT. Just a suggestion, but at f/10 (2000mm f/l) you would need an OAG with a large prism and a guide camera with a decent sized chip to find sufficient guide stars. The Celestron OAG coupled with the ASI174M mini makes a great choice.

Yup, and what Eric said above if you want to stick with your current guiding solution.

• Dynan likes this

#4 rishigarrod

rishigarrod

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:32 PM

I only got consistant guiding on my Edge 8HD when I moved to an OAG. I also had to invest in a better guidecamera because the field of view gets very small and sometimes it was a real pain trying to find a guide star. As suggested above by Soyuz I have the Celestron OAG coupled with the ASI174M mini.

Now when I move back to  my Esprit 100 I also use the OAG, once you get used to it it's really easy to use.

Edited by rishigarrod, 26 July 2021 - 03:35 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#5 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:29 PM

First off, your guide star looks like it is way out of whack! Are you sure your guide camera is well focused? If so, try a smaller tighter star.

Your Hysteresis setting are about the same I used with my 11" Edge HD. Your mnmo settings are seriously too low, but don't worry about that until you get your guiding straightened out. 

Also, as already mentioned, run the guiding assistant.

You don't mention your mount. Is it up to the task?

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:56 PM

You've gone from 376 to at least 1300mm of focal length and that's a different ball game. The first thing to do if you want help is to post your PHD log. The best general advice that I can give without seeing a log and a picture of the system to use ASCOM guiding and make sure that you have a good calibration close where the meridian crosses the celestial equator. That's always the first thing to get straight. 

My second guess is as others have mentioned you are trying to use a guide scope which is unlikely to work with an SCT. I'm not convinced that the guide star is the key here, but that really looks bad and can't be helping things at all. 

Again, to get help, the guide log is the way to go and the PHD forum is a great place to post once you have that log. 

Rgrds-Ross

#7 UnguardedPeach

UnguardedPeach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:46 PM

I only got consistant guiding on my Edge 8HD when I moved to an OAG. I also had to invest in a better guidecamera because the field of view gets very small and sometimes it was a real pain trying to find a guide star. As suggested above by Soyuz I have the Celestron OAG coupled with the ASI174M mini.
Now when I move back to my Esprit 100 I also use the OAG, once you get used to it it's really easy to use.

I have the ASI120mm mini. I also just got the celestron oag so I'm hoping that will help!
  • teashea likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics