•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary Observing Books

Beginner Planet
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kas20amc02

kas20amc02

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:09 PM

Hello everyone.  I am interested in doing more planetary observation this fall, as Jupiter and Saturn come back into view and want to buy a book that covers observing tips and facts about the planets.  Nothing tome-like please but a few hundred pages would be great   My knowledge base regarding the planets and their moons is low and something basic is just fine.  My observing goals are to follow the phases of Venus until the inferior opposition this winter, re-spot Mercury when it becomes feasible, looks for shadows, transits, etc of the Galilean moons and make a more detailed study of Saturn overall.  

Thanks,

Karl

• Brianm14 likes this

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 26 July 2021 - 04:16 PM

Hello everyone.  I am interested in doing more planetary observation this fall, as Jupiter and Saturn come back into view and want to buy a book that covers observing tips and facts about the planets.  Nothing tome-like please but a few hundred pages would be great   My knowledge base regarding the planets and their moons is low and something basic is just fine.  My observing goals are to follow the phases of Venus until the inferior opposition this winter, re-spot Mercury when it becomes feasible, looks for shadows, transits, etc of the Galilean moons and make a more detailed study of Saturn overall.  

Thanks,

Karl

Not an actual book, but I think you'd be pleased with the performance of Celestron's SkyPortal mobil app.

https://www.celestro...rtal-mobile-app

BTW - it's FREE.

Edited by wrvond, 26 July 2021 - 04:17 PM.

#3 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:32 PM

The Planet Observer's Handbook by Fred W. Price

is arguably a classic.

Used copies can be found for less than $10.  Most copies will be softcover.

-Sounds like the second edition included some updates.

Best wishes.

Dan

• Special Ed and Deep13 like this

#4 kas20amc02

kas20amc02

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2021 - 09:54 AM

Thanks.  I already own Sky Safari Pro, which is the platform for the Celestron's program.  It does have some good information.  

I will pick up the book.  

~Karl

#5 SabiaJD

SabiaJD

Viking 1

• Loc: Clarks Summit, PA

Posted 08 August 2021 - 08:49 AM

The Sky a User's Guide, by David Levy contains useful viewing information of the  planets Mars, Jupiter , Saturn and the Moon.   

Older observing guides  produced by the ALPO and BAA  are hard to located.

Found the one good online Jupiter Observing reference I had bookmarked.

https://britastro.or...r/programme.htm

http://www.alpo-astr...saturn/sat7.pdf

https://www.cloudyni...rn-how-to-r1323

Edited by SabiaJD, 08 August 2021 - 05:04 PM.

• kas20amc02 likes this

#6 RMay

RMay

Viking 1

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 17 August 2021 - 11:59 PM

“Saturn and How to Observe It” by Julius L Benton, Jr., is a classic. Julius is executive director and Saturn observer for the Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers, and has been observing Saturn for most of his life. I know him, and own the book, and it has been extremely helpful in allowing me to enhance my viewing skills.

Ron
  • Special Ed and Aquarellia like this

#7 kas20amc02

kas20amc02

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 August 2021 - 08:24 PM

I ended up getting a used copy of the Planet Observer's Handbook on Amazon for $2.50.  I have read a few chapters so far and it has been very helpful.  I may check out some of these other suggestions as well.

~Karl

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics