•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I don't see diffraction rings ( "Airy discs" ) at all

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:12 AM

Yeah, I can see the rings when out of focus

But not in focus, right? At high power?

#27 Buqibu

Buqibu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:03 AM

Yeah, so when out of focus the star is a big circle with rings radiating from the centre, when in focus its a point of light at low mag, a smudgy blob at high power, no airy disc to be seen. One thing I did notice was when removing the diagonal, it got very slightly sharper, maybe a tad brighter. Still no disc but it seemed promising, I'll keep trying on nights of good seeing away from buildings. Thanks for the help so far
  • Asbytec likes this

#28 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:46 AM

I have a barlow and a Celestron Zoom. I've gone up to 165x, still just a smudge. Could be the seeing, could be the scope. Anyway I appriciate the help. I've also tried without the diagonal, same story.

You have a balcony, take seeing out of the equation.  Try to find an artificial light source of reasonable brightness but very small size and aim the scope at that.  In order to be a point source and not a visible light, it has to be far enough away or the glint of the sun off a chrome car bumper or insulator on a power pole can sometimes provide an infinitely small but bright image.  You will need at least 200x to get a clear look at the diffiraction image.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics