•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wildfires and NV

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 27 July 2021 - 09:25 AM

While doing my mornin' scrollin' (through social media/blogs/etc) I saw a post about NEOWISE being 1 year ago and being this awesome spectacle. It reminded me of trying to spot it past its prime on my old apartment roof, and just barely finding it with my binoculars, not having my MOD3 in hand yet to spot it that way.

It made me think, sheesh, I haven't gotten out to use the NV this summer yet. It's Milky Way season... what am I doing? I really should make at least 1-2 trips to a club dark site to make good use of the expensive but awesome investment I've made.

The problem, as I'm sure you're all aware, is the smoke from the wildfires out west and in Canada. NV is really affected by transparency and I feel like it would be a waste to plan a drive to a dark site when it will likely still be covered by a thin smoke/haze layer.

Has anyone else felt a bit defeated by the smoke?

#2 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:52 PM

Don't know, we have had a very productive monsoon season. It would not surprise me if Arizona was having record rainfall. So, all of our fires are out.

But NV might see right through it. You can be the trailblazer here wink.gif 

Last year I shot this photo of the comet, note how much cirrus there is:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5828.png

• ArsMachina and AllStarez like this

#3 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Apollo

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

Jay, I live in the Central Valley of California... we have been inundated with smoke for weeks, even though the majority of smoke is headed N/E.  Each summer for the last 4 years, has been dreadful, and no, NV does not do well through smoke; if smoke is visible in your atmosphere, it will impair NV performance to some degree.    If you can see stars without NV through your smoke layer, you should be fine using NV.  If stars are visually obliterated with smoke, then you might want to wait for clearer skies.  

As Jeff noted, the S/W U.S. is in the midst of their monsoon season.  I am hoping that by new moon in Sept., the skies will be clear in New Mexico, which is where I'll be headed.  

Ray

#4 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:24 AM

Here in Minnesota we have had smoke starting about 2 months ago.   It ruined NV viewing.   Where before I could easily see the Veil and Elephant trunk Nebula surround with 3X and 3nm HA. They have been missing in action ever since the smoke arrived.  When I first noticed they were gone the daytime sky was barely smokie.   Now even the moon is a dim orange ball.   So I have not gone out since then.  Our smoke is from Canada and a few days visibility was less than a mile.

Dale

#5 jay.i

jay.i

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:45 AM

Here in Minnesota we have had smoke starting about 2 months ago.   It ruined NV viewing.   Where before I could easily see the Veil and Elephant trunk Nebula surround with 3X and 3nm HA. They have been missing in action ever since the smoke arrived.  When I first noticed they were gone the daytime sky was barely smokie.   Now even the moon is a dim orange ball.   So I have not gone out since then.  Our smoke is from Canada and a few days visibility was less than a mile.

Dale

You know my pain Dale! Minneapolis has been stricken with smoke for quite some time now. Basically the entire summer has been a wash for DSOs. I suspect it will continue until snowfall, as Canada is letting their fires burn unless they threaten homes/etc.

#6 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:25 AM

Due to a very rainy/humid/hazy June and smoky July, I haven't had a good night for quite a while.

However, it's been great for fruits, berries, lawns, and the very important corn and soybeans that surround me.

• Starman81 likes this

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 29 July 2021 - 06:16 PM

Due to a very rainy/humid/hazy June and smoky July, I haven't had a good night for quite a while.

However, it's been great for fruits, berries, lawns, and the very important corn and soybeans that surround me.

Maybe you should move to FL and have some steady seeing.

#8 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:00 PM

A few weeks ago I noticed the sky was super hazy here in WV. I understand that has to do with the wildfire smoke being in the upper atmosphere. It was so bad one clear night that I couldn't even see the Big Dipper. Just the really bright stars showed up. I don't think I've ever experienced that before. The light pollution I used to have in the St. Louis area would make only bright stars visible. But the Big Dipper was certainly there.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics