•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

UA Unimount Light Basic Plus arrived

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

Got home from work and there was a large box on the porch from Larry at UA. Nice packaging. I got the Unimount Light basic with the deluxe L bracket for 5 degrees of motion. Unpacked and installed in 10 minutes. Mounted the Fuji 16x70's and started moving all over the place. Initial impressions are good. Everything is wasy to adjust, the motion is smooth and it holds the Fuji's very well at all possible angles. Can't wait to sit down in my lawn chair tonight and stare at NEAT.

I'll try to post a full review and comparison to my current P-mount on my web site sometime soon.

Tom

#2 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:57 PM

Just got done with the seated viewing test. That's gonna be a lot of fun. The Basic with 5 degrees of motion lets me grab about 90 deg of azimuth and go all the way from horizontal to vertical. Very cool.

Tom

#3 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

Just got done with the seated viewing test. That's gonna be a lot of fun. The Basic with 5 degrees of motion lets me grab about 90 deg of azimuth and go all the way from horizontal to vertical. Very cool.

I talked to Larry at UA a couple of days ago. I was trying to decide with Unimount to get for some new 20x90's I have coming. He indicated that with just the Basic 4 degrees of motion you should be able to see about 90% of the sky from one seated position. With the added degree you could get about 120%. I decided to opt for the basic 4 degrees.

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:29 PM

Tom's got that deluxe Binoc L adapter to use with his 16x70s binocs. That's the same setup I use most often. You wouldn't use it with the 20x90's since they have a mounting post. I've got the Celestron 25x100 (mounting post) on the Uni Light Basic right now. They're a little heavy but a finger to the side of them helps settle it down and then they are fine. Motions still work just fine. I was just out viewing NEAT, until clouds rolled in.

edz

#5 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:13 PM

Ed,

Man, I can't believe what I've been missing. The seated binocular viewing has got to be one of the most relaxing things I have ever done. Simply remarkable! I had all the neighbor's and their kids come out tonight (20 people or so) and they all had a real treat. NEAT and M44 were playing nicely together and Jupiter had the GRS and Io transiting and the seeing was above average. I was very pleased that the kids could pick out the GRS and see NEAT easily. Truely a fine evening. This is a great hobby.

Tom

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:52 AM

Tom, what tripod to you have with your new mount?

#7 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:28 AM

NW,

I have it on a Bogen 3046. Seems to work pretty well.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 107705-fuji ua chair.jpg

#8 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:21 AM

Tom,

I use my Unimount Light Deluxe for all my binoculars from 14° 7x32 Orion Expanse to 25x100 Apogee's and it works like a dream. For my binos like the 20x60 Pentax and smaller I use the Pentax L bracket that I already had.

Joe
Posted Image

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

Tom, that looks really nice and it's good to hear it works well for you. I have a Bogen 3221WN tripod so I was just wondering.

#10 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:34 AM

I've been after a mount for my bino's, maybe a P mount for a couple of months. I just can't decide what to buy :confused:

I've been looking at the Viro Skyview on the Paragon tripod that orion sell, for $270 complete it seems like a good deal. The basic UA unimount seems to be $280 without a tripod, for $150 the basic UA tripod looks a bit flimsy and not particularly nice to use.

I've seen the reviews of both mounts in the reviews section BTW.

Of corse I've not factored shipping to the UK into any of this yet :(

MOG

#11 AJTony

AJTony

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:04 AM

Joe,

I just checked the UA website, and they don't have any stats listed for their mounts. You said that you can use the Unimount light basic for 25 X 100 Apogees. I thought they would require a larger mount. Do you have any photos of the setup?

AJ

#12 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:59 AM

FWIW, I have just bought a P-mount (actually, the T-mount)from UA for my 100mm Miyauchi -- I have found them (actually, it's a "him": Larry Patriarca) excellent to deal with and have no hesitation in recommending him. Friendly, forthright, and very helpful.

You used to be able to get Virgo kit from SCS Astro; I don't know if you still can: http://www.scsastro.co.uk/ Also, if you only need a lightweight job like the sturdier version of the Virgo, and you want to "buy British", BC&F do one called the "Star Raker": http://www.astro-engineering.co.uk/ However, be aware that neither of these are nearly as versatile as the UA stuff, which has sufficient degrees of freedom to make it possible to observe a great deal (over a quarter, maybe a third) of the sky without changing observing position.

If you buy from the US, you will need to factor in shipping, import duty (4% or 5% on top of that, depending on how the muppet at HMC&E classifies your stuff), then a handling fee (Parcel Force charged me 15 quid -- the outfit who handled some stuff I got from JMI a few years back only charged me half that), then VAT at 17.5% on all of that. It mounts up (ghastly pun intended), but it's still cheaper than buying in rip-off Britain.

#13 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:49 AM

You still can get the Virgo kit from SCS, I'd just rather get it from the US if I can. I've had nothing but grief from UK dealers in the past, and nothing but good prompt service from the US.

As far as SCS go I've had problems with them in the past and avoid using them now if possible (thats another story, but from the UK Astro community its not an isolated incident) They are the only US Orion dealer in the UK who stock near enough their whole range so sometimes its unavoidable.

I do prefer the minimalist approach of the Virgo kit, the UA mounts look a bit like a large meccano set. The Virgo looks more compact and easier to set up. For seated viewing the UA mounts are apparently the way to go though, although they are dearer and look more bulky. I dont tend to sit down as I view, standing up keeps you warm in "sunny" Manchester

MOG

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

How much does that Unimount weigh?

#15 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:32 PM

From the UA site it comes with 10pounds of counterweights as standard. I suppose you'll need a pretty sturdy tripod to hold it.

MOG

#16 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:51 PM

Surveyor tripods are recommended. A good place to get them in the UK is York Survey: http://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/

#17 Mogster

Mogster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:32 PM

Tom, that looks really nice and it's good to hear it works well for you. I have a Bogen 3221WN tripod so I was just wondering.

Can't pretend that this is informed opinion but as you wont be extending the legs of your 3221 fully it should make it more stable......shouldn't it?

Sounds like its worth a go instead of shelling out for a new tripod. What's the worst that can happen.

MOG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics