•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sun mosaic with daystar quark

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BoskoSLO

BoskoSLO

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Slovenia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:33 AM

https://www.astrobin.com/ve89a5/

I present you my latest work, a 7 panel sun mosaic of the sun disk. It's missing a small part due to bad planning and rushing to get the images before clouds rolled in.

While doing this mosaic I had my quark turned off. Chuck Ayoub gave me the idea while watching his latest solar imaging stream and he said his quark is off for some reason so I gave it a try and oh boy it was worth it. It was like night and day. Apparently the lowest heating setting on my quark is a touch too much and puts the filter right on the edge of being perfectly on-band.

While the quark was off it stayed on-band for a couple of minutes then started to shift off-band because it got too cold.

So I had an idea, instead of using the supplied power supply for my quark I would use a variable power supply and supply my quark with 5V and limit the output current so it sits slightly below the lowest dial setting.

In theory this should do the trick but the question is, will the heater still work if I supply less current than it demands. I know that the light on the quark will never turn green.

But on the other hand it could be the summer heat that's changing how the quark works. I got it in february and back then the activity was close to none. I could try the above idea, it shouldn't hurt the quark I assume if done correctly.

Edited by BoskoSLO, 27 July 2021 - 11:34 AM.

• Tom M, LarryAlvarez, SgrB2 and 12 others like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:26 PM

That came out nicely!

• BoskoSLO likes this

#3 davidpitre

davidpitre

Aurora

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:25 PM

Absolutely beautiful full disk

#4 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:59 AM

Very nice mosiac

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics