•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tri-Band SCT?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Creedence

Creedence

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:38 AM

Stumbled across this.  Apparently the filtering occurs at the corrector plate with "transmission windows designed for Calcium-K, Continuum (incl H-beta and O III), H-alpha, S II."

https://www.baader-p...d-deep-sky.html

Any experience out there with one of these?

Edited by Creedence, 27 July 2021 - 11:45 AM.

• barbarosa and Rick-T137 like this

#2 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:20 PM

Stumbled across this.  Apparently the filtering occurs at the corrector plate with "transmission windows designed for Calcium-K, Continuum (incl H-beta and O III), H-alpha, S II."

https://www.baader-p...d-deep-sky.html

Any experience out there with one of these?

At over four grand for a C8, I'd guess not many. ;)

• Rick-T137, Augustus and Creedence like this

#3 Creedence

Creedence

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:40 PM

Just the man to reply!  I would think this is exceptionally limiting, and could be (is) accomplished with the use of filters; but I was wondering if anyone out there has ever seen one of these in the wild, used one, or know of their use.  I wonder if these OTAs are built to Baader's specs, or if this is an aftermarket modification and rebadging.  The available apertures (8, 9.25, and 11) scream Celestron.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#4 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

There are users on the Solarchat forum.   I have a triband ERF in my solar refractor, works well in Ha and continuum, not tried Calcium-K as I'm visual only.

#5 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:36 PM

The image showing the front of the corrector plate says Celestron around the edge.

#6 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 27 July 2021 - 01:57 PM

How to justify the price to yourself and others

Baader Price net of VAT <Price of Celestron SCT> <Price of two quarks> = A Genuine Bargain.

Tell yourself that the Baader accessories are things that you would have purchased anyway.

Edited by barbarosa, 27 July 2021 - 01:59 PM.

#7 Ljungmann

Ljungmann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:57 PM

Well gentlemen - I have the small Triband 8" version. It is a dedicated solar telescope. It is a classic Celestron and the corrector has been modified to be an ERF. 

My setup is a high resolution h-alpha system. It has the Baader 3x Telecentric system optimised to f30 and you normally use SolarSpectrum filters or Daystar Quantum filters. Just after the h-alpha filter I have a Baader 0.4x focal reducer - and the system is back to f10. Then a Takahashi 1.25 diagonal and a TV 32mm.

It is a SS 0.3A filter and the views are really mind-blowing. 

The SCT telescope works great as a dedicated h-alpha telescope and much better than most people likes to think. Resolution and light gathering is the key word. 

You can see its on a good old CGE Pro mount and the refractors has a Quantum filter and a Herschel wedge. In the background my "winter-telescope" a Celestron 14. When I use the Triband off season it is mounted on a EQ5 without the refractors. 

The Triband is so much fun and is one of the easiest ways to get a high resolution h-alpha system without building one from bits and pieces.

post-227336-0-51584100-1621986687.jpg

• jgraham, LauraMS, Rick-T137 and 2 others like this

#8 Creedence

Creedence

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:26 PM

That’s an impressive setup! The write-up mentions utility for night targets as well. I know you mention it for solar use, but have you tried it on any DSOs?

Edited by Creedence, 27 July 2021 - 08:52 PM.

#9 kel123

kel123

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:35 PM

At over four grand for a C8, I'd guess not many. ;)

They know we are suckers, especially me.

#10 davidpitre

davidpitre

Aurora

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 27 July 2021 - 11:16 PM

Though a lot of money, it’s about the same as buying the optical tube and Energy Rejection Filter separately. I believe the scope can be used at night time with the filter removed. The set-up can be used for white light solar viewing, but for Ha, a rear etalon is required (another $2000-$8000)

#11 Ljungmann

Ljungmann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:10 AM

Yes - a separat 8" ERF from Valery at Aries + the Celestron will be the same price. AiryLab makes a version with a cool ERF and the Edge system. It is more expensive. But with my visual setup i really dont need the Edge correction. The weak part of the system will always be the telecentric system and it is important to use the best. While the Powermates are great, they are not that good if you are playing with a really near-band filter. To much off center broadening. Baader, AirlyLab and Beloptic makes them. 

Night time visual observations? Yes it can be used as a "UHC" SCT. Planetary objects are great and the same is M42 and other emission objects. The rest - nope. Imagers can use the red part to take night time h-alpha images.  

But in the real world I really do not use the 8" as a night time telescope. The 14" SCT is a true planetary nebula killer. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2214 (1).jpg

Edited by Ljungmann, 28 July 2021 - 03:12 AM.

#12 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:37 AM

I would be tempted to get one for solar where it not that my son's college bills and home improvements are eating up my surplus capital

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics