I had been wanting to try to capture an entire shadow transit event for a long time and I finally decided to take a shot at it back on July 19. The seeing was pretty good and I could afford to be a zombie in the morning so I stayed out late and collected data as Io and its shadow raced across the face of Jupiter. I then compiled all of the data into a 21-frame time-lapse video that covers about 3 hr 15 min.
Here are the technical details:
I recorded 3 x 1.5 min captures of Jupiter for each frame in the time-lapse using my C9.25, 2.5X Powermate, and ASI224MC with UV/IR-cut filter (exposure 10 ms, gain 350). This gave a total of 63 video files. Each group of 3 captures was started 5 minutes after the previous capture ended. The 5 minute gaps gave me a chance to offload the data to a portable hard drive (251 GB of data in total...way too much to fit on my laptop's HD) and remove dew from the corrector plate of my C9.25 with a hair dryer (I should probably invest in either a dew strip or a dew shield).
I stacked the best 25% of the frames from each of the 63 individual video files in AS3 with alignment points distributed all across the face of Jupiter. I used a 3x drizzle for those stacks. I then repeated the stacking using a single alignment point on Io for any video in which Io was either off to one side of Jupiter, on Jupiter's limb, or just inside Jupiter's limb. I used a 3x drizzle for those stacks, too. The total AS3 processing time was about 9 hours.
For processing, I resized each stack back to its original capture size and performed deconvolution in Fitswork4. I used different deconvolution settings for Jupiter than I did for Io. I color balanced those images and gave them a very gentle wavelet sharpening in Registax6, then adjusted the contrast and saturation and performed noise reduction in Image Analyzer.
I then derotated and combined each group of 3 images into a single image in Winjupos. This caused Io to get smeared out for all of the images in which Io was not directly in front of Jupiter. For those images, I transposed the separately processed Io image onto the corresponding derotated Jupiter image.
The result of all of that was 21 individual images, each of which would become a frame in the time-lapse. Lastly, I touched up the brightness of the individual images in GIMP and then stitched them together to make a time-lapse video.
Here's the YouTube link if you'd like to check it out.
I've included a few of the frames of the time-lapse below. The seeing improved as the night wore on and Jupiter rose higher in the sky.
This turned out to be a really fun (albeit time-consuming) project. Thanks for looking!