•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guiding Assistant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 astrohound24

astrohound24

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:28 PM

I ran Nina last night and PHD2 for the first time. I just wanted to observe guiding and see what was what. I adjusted my declination backlash on my EQ6R last week and I think it helped but this stuff might as well be hieroglyphics to me. I was trying to see if I still had declination backlash of any kind and also was curious about the PE of my mount. Here is a screenshot of my info but may not be able to see it well. The test shows backlash is small and no compensation needed but over to the right in parentheses it says test impaired but at the bottom says measurement completed. I wasn’t sure what that meant. RA Peak to Peak said 6.87 arc seconds but not sure I even ran all of it long enough or what that value shows. As the moon came up my green circles for multi star guiding started turning orange. It kept losing stars. I never did get it to recover and my testing was shut down for the rest of the night. I did get Nina to work last night and did a few gotos using Sky Atlas and plate solved in Nina for the first time. One final thing. When I was calibrating near my targets the last month or so I was able to get good results. I read that PHD2 wants you to calibrate near meridian and celestial equator. Seems like every since I have been trying to do that I run into more issues. I am going back to calibrating each target and near where the object is. Ok sorry for long post. Just slowly trying to get knowledge on all this stuff. Thanks.

Greg

Attached Thumbnails

• 02BA98B7-0397-4DE3-9649-509552F27449.jpeg

#2 dx_ron

dx_ron

Messenger

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

122 seconds is only a fraction of an RA worm cycle, so you will grossly underestimate p-p error.

I've never seen "test impaired", but it doesn't sound good. There should be a log (not that I can diagnose your problem from it, but someone will be able to).

As for the moon - having that much light shine on the objective of your guidecam cannot be good for keeping track of stars. An improvised longer dew shield probably helps, depending on how far from the moon you are trying to point.

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:42 PM

You should let GA run long enough and then apply its suggestions.

"I read that PHD2 wants you to calibrate near meridian and celestial equator"

This is true if you are using ASCOM guiding. Also you usually need to to do this only once.

If using ST-4 guiding, ie cable from guide camera to mount, then you should calibrate near target.

#4 astrohound24

astrohound24

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 12:47 PM

Immediately after I ran those tests and had a run of guiding for about 15 minutes it ran .73 RMS and seemed to guide ok. I will just have to try again next night I can get out. I will let it run a good while next time. I have typically been getting .65 to 1.0 guiding for several weeks when using ASIAir Pro. I just wanted to try the full PHD2 program for once. Thanks everyone.

#5 astrohound24

astrohound24

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:14 PM

log file

The longest period has all the GA runs on it but looks like it leveled off once I let the guiding resume so I don’t know how it would be rated from there on but that 9 plus RMS looked not so good but I assume that was including the testing runs. I tried more calibrations but the moon was right near the area I was pointed and I think that did my camera in for seeing well. Anyways thanks everyone.

GM

Attached Files

Edited by astrohound24, 27 July 2021 - 02:57 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics