•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tried a 2-speed focuser wheel upgrade and messed it up - help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:38 PM

I ordered this upgrade for Crayford focusers for Skywatcher dobs:

https://www.365astro...ayford-focusers

Now, mind you, my dob is 10+ years old, flex-tube.  It arrived today.  I posted this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...ing-to-upgrade/

Because it took me a while to get the last screw unscrewed in the focuser. I installed the thing.  

My focuser tube rattles around and won't actually focus. If I tighten the screw that should tighten the focuser tube, there are two speeds. Either, rattles and focuses, or, no movement at all. 

I re-install the original focuser tube and metal plate and......

.....it works fine.

Is there a trick here? Can I get this 2-speed focuser upgrade to work with my ancient, beloved Skywatcher?  

#2 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:16 PM

-Not sure which manual you have.  Here's one, just in case...

https://teleskop-aus...ion-English.pdf

The central hex screw in the bottom plate - not just the thumbscrew - may come into play.  Not sure if you've worked on that...

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

• Redbetter likes this

#3 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

THANK YOU.  I'm at work currently but I believe this discussion of the teflon pad that has to move over too will fix it.  

#4 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Gemini

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

THANK YOU.  I'm at work currently but I believe this discussion of the teflon pad that has to move over too will fix it.  

Yes, you must install that pad on the new component.   I did that exact same upgrade on my Orion XT10i (Synta) which has the same focuser as your scope.  That should solve your issue.

#5 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:02 PM

I spoke too soon. 

So I have the instructions, which tell me to take the teflon pad and "block" off the original focuser pressure plate and put them on the new plate/focuser. However, the instructions have me moving the shaft from the old focuser to the new one.  My new focuser has a shaft installed and I can't figure out how to remove it, or if I should. The teflon and "block" is pretty permanently attached to my old focuser's plate, and I can't get it off. 

When I install the new focuser as-is, the tube rattles around in the focuser assembly and it's clearly wrong. But I can't see how to disassemble the old focuser plate and get the teflon and block out of there and then underneath the new focuser's shaft, which I also can't figure out how to remove.  

I've written to the manufacturer, in Great Brittan.  I'm willing to keep fiddling with it, but I don't want to damage the teflon and just don't see how it works. 

#6 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:19 PM

Nope. Never mind. I threw caution to the wind and started really pushing on stuff and unscrewing stuff and I think I figured it out.  

Muh successful 2-speed focuser upgrade:

bqayUj1.jpg

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 jlcop

jlcop

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:29 PM

Please keep us updated. I have been looking at this upgrade myself and will really like to know how well it works. I had one ordered last winter but the distributer canceled the order because they were out of stock with no information from the manufacturer. 

John

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Gemini

Posted 01 August 2021 - 08:25 PM

Please keep us updated. I have been looking at this upgrade myself and will really like to know how well it works. I had one ordered last winter but the distributer canceled the order because they were out of stock with no information from the manufacturer. 

John

Do it.  I did and it works perfectly.  Get it here...

https://www.365astro...lacerta focuser

It's in stock, with shipping to the US is was just under $100 and I got it in a little over a week.

Edited by Dave Bush, 01 August 2021 - 08:28 PM.

• jlcop likes this

#9 laurelg9

laurelg9

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:52 AM

I have not been able to use my dob in the field, as it were, but it has installed correctly and is quite smooth. I have two Astro Tech refractors and it's a nice upgrade to have that much control over the focuser on my dobsonian.  I will update when I'm able to get it outside under clear sky (which may be a couple of weeks).  

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 stevo58

stevo58

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 August 2021 - 01:40 AM

You could have used the shaft on the Lacerta. It doesn’t matter. I installed the same upgrade on my 200p and used the Lacerta-provided shaft, for two reasons: 1) it somehow in an undefinable way struck me as a higher-quality bit than the SW. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know. Maybe it looked like stainless; and 2) I was lazy and didn’t feel like spending two minutes to remove the Lacerta shaft. This is probably the real reason. 

in any case, I’m very happy with the upgrade. My OC nature, however, wants to put a matching Lacerta knob on the other side. So far I’ve wrestled this to the ground and kept it pinned. 

steven

#11 jlcop

jlcop

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Meridian, Idaho

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:31 PM

Do it.  I did and it works perfectly.  Get it here...

https://www.365astro...lacerta focuser

It's in stock, with shipping to the US is was just under $100 and I got it in a little over a week.

Thanks, that the same supplier I tried before so I can trust therm to refund if appropriate. So I just re-ordered.

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics