•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

removing Dust from my ZWO ASI178 sensor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk84

Dirk84

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:41 AM

In order to reach backfocus on my Coronado PST I have to take apart my zwo camera and I put a 3d printed adjustment ring on in.
The small glass protecting the camera sensor is always loose, and sometimes I have to put it back into place when fitting this adjustment ring.

Now some dust has gone behind the glass and directly onto the sensor.  undecided.gif 
What would be the safest way of removing this dust spot?

I cleaned my DSLR sensor in the past with the swaps and cleaning liquid. 

Is there a similar approach on the ZWO sensors?

Would a dry Q-tip be a bad idea or is it worth a shot? confused1.gif

Thanks in advance 

Dirk

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Bay Area, California

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:51 AM

Try an air blower first

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:01 AM

+1 on trying something like a Giotto Rocket Air Blaster. These just use regular air.

#4 DirtyRod

DirtyRod

Mariner 2

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:24 AM

+3 on air. I've somehow got dust on my sensor and it's been a process. I've had my 178 apart a few times. I clean it with swabs and wipes and I get the 1-2 dust particles I'm after but end up with one somewhere else. Rinse and repeat. 

#5 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:04 AM

With having a loose protect glass for a while, you might need to watch for condensation on the sensor. Your desiccant tab(s) might need to be regenerated or replaced.

#6 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:29 AM

Not to hijack the thread, but a few years back, I bought a ASI120MC-S online, it was a return but the price was good so I thought nothing of it at the time.

I have since discovered why it was a return, there is a small hair, I guess and eyelash or smaller, trapped behind the glass that covers the sensor. I could leave the hair there, and crop any image I make, but obviously I would prefer it gone. I see no way to remove this glass window, and I am not sure it would be safe to do so. Any advice would be welcome.

#7 Maritime

Maritime

Apollo

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:16 AM

The window frame either screws in, or is held in place with screws, depending on the model. 

• xvariablestarx likes this

#8 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:32 AM

The window frame either screws in, or is held in place with screws, depending on the model. 

The metal face screws off, the pressure of the face holds the window in place along with a rubber O ring. I got the hair out, thank you.

#9 Maritime

Maritime

Apollo

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:51 AM

Great!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics