This first photo is from 4 years ago, when I'd previously worked on it.
After this photo, I temporarily touched it up using Testors silver model paint.
It was used straight from the bottle and without trying to match the color.
It was a bit too light, but I knew it would be temporary, so it was good enough at the time.
This is a recent photo taken while cleaning the inside of the eyepiece and repairing the crosshairs.
(The objective is on the left and the eyepiece is on the right)
The crosshair cell is a press fit (held with a little glue) and has already been removed in this photo.
Note that both lenses use a spring metal retainer. I haven't seen this on any of the other finders I've worked on.
I wasn't going to chance damaging the lenses by removing them, so they were cleaned in place.
The crosshairs were long gone, so I replaced them using a couple of pieces of my own hair.
Using a magnifying glass I selected a couple that appeared to match in thickness and color.
I start by taping them down and progressively adding more tape working inward towards the cell to make them tighter.
Using a toothpick I dab them with a spot of Superglue and cut the excess once the glue has dried.
After the cell was installed, I checked them again by looking thru the finder and they looked very good.
Besides the normal adjusters, this finder mount has three tiny grub screws at its front.
One of them would not go in far enough to touch the finder and it's head was chipped from trying.
While cutting the new slot, to keep it from turning, I pressed my other hands thumbnail against it.
An X-acto saw was used for this.
As I sawed I had to carefully keep the saw blade level so it did not cut into the bracket.
Once the slot was cut. I was able to work it in and out a little at a time (with WD-40) until it re-cut the threads.
This time the tube touch ups were done using a different silver paint mixed with a tiny bit of black.
Over the years the finder's adjusters and grub screws had made many scars and tiny craters in the tube.
The whole process was kind of an exercise in trial and error.
On some of them I'd paint and then wipe them with a finger to fill them.
On others just the tip of the brush worked well enough to fill them in.
A couple of Before and After photos
After touching up the tube, a few of the small craters had raised edges making them still noticeable.
Figuring there's nothing to lose, I carefully sanded the edges down and touched them up again.
These are a couple others that were sanded and retouched on the opposite side of the tube.
Three times I completely wiped all of the touch ups off and started over before it was good enough to leave alone.
The sad thing, sometimes they matched very good, but then I'd do more and mix the color a bit off and screw it up.
The metallic nature of silver makes it very hard to tint and it would also turn a slightly different shade when dry.
While the touch ups aren't perfect it's so much better than it was.
Edited by Kasmos, 07 August 2021 - 04:17 AM.