•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter from a couple of days ago

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buqibu

Buqibu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:42 AM

Brought out my 4 inch achro, using the Celestron Zoom eyepiece, coupled with a barlow 2x. Seeing started out as ok but it kept getting better. For some reason Jupiter looked clearer to me than Saturn, even though it was lower in the sky. I was able to see all 4 galillean moons, Io and Europa were very close together, almost as if they were a double star. Callisto was standing at the far left of the fov, Ganymede to the far right. I was able to see 3 bands, the 2 main belts and the little thin one above the north belt. I also saw variation in colour, from the dark brown of the belts, to the white in between, to the cream colour of the overall sphere. One of the best views I've gotten in a long time. Most of the time i stuck to 6mm (110×), but I could push it to 4mm (165x), it was a bit dim though. Then The Moon came out and I also enjoyed looking at that. Very nice session overall. One of these days I hope to catch a glimpse of the Great Red Spot. Is it visible in a 4 inch?
  • flt158 and jeremiah2229 like this

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:15 AM

Yes.  GRS schedule.    Enjoy.

#3 Buqibu

Buqibu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:49 AM

Cool! Thanks

#4 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

I have a 4" Celestron C102 f/1000 that I view Jupiter and Saturn at 125-160x on good nights of seeing, which is not to often where I live in NC. I find my 8-24mm zoom the perfect EP for the planets. You can dial in the best power to match the seeing.

#5 Buqibu

Buqibu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:11 PM

Exactly!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics