•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show us your best planetary eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#51 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:18 PM

Delites on the left and Radians on the right.

For the planets, I've owned UO orthos, TV plossls and even a Brandon. All were wonderful. But not only are the fields wider in the above, the longer ER and ergonomics make observing just that much more pleasurable.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3055.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, John Huntley, payner and 7 others like this

#52 Anthony Dente

Anthony Dente

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Moyers, Oklahoma

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:22 PM

Here is my planetary set, some are over decade stable for cyclops.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Here is my binoviewing stable set with various Barlow lens.

large.jpg

Tammy

Out of all your planetary Eyepieces, which one would you consider the best...?

• Sarkikos likes this

#53 doctordub

doctordub

Vanguard

• Loc: New Rochelle, New York

Posted 30 July 2021 - 06:59 PM

How do you find your TOE vs HR? I think the 4 mm TOE delivery's a smooth view then the HR 3.6 mm, makes me think I should get the 2.5 mm TOE.
I have all of the HR's so it would be a little over kill on the how many EP's do you really need....

I have not had enough viewing comparing the two to make a judgment. I have mostly used them for Lunar observations with my NP-101 and Tak Turret.

CS

Jonathan 

#54 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:02 PM

They may not be my best planetary eyepieces, but they're my most used planetary eyepieces coolnod.gif

twin towers.jpeg

7 5 3.5 xw.jpeg

• doctordub, John Huntley, SteveG and 8 others like this

#55 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:07 PM

Here's another look at the XW's. Kinda hard to see the front of them in the previous image.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.5 5 7.jpeg

• doctordub, John Huntley, starcam and 3 others like this

#56 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:15 AM

Out of all your planetary Eyepieces, which one would you consider the best...?

If you consider "the best memorable viewing experience" as criteria of "the best" with 4"-6" refractors for last 15 years or so, eyepieces shown in my previous post are:

Jupiter for Zeiss/TMB 25mm (binoviewer)

Venus for Zeiss A-II 4mm (cyclops)

Other memorable viewing experience was with

The moon for Panoptic 19mm (binoviewer)

Mars for Nikon SW 7mm (binoviewer)

Saturn for Docter UWA 12.5mm (binoviewer)

The eyepieces that gave the memorable experience aren't necessarily ones that I've used most either.

Eyepieces that I used most are ones that I enjoyed most (Takahashi LE5, Zeiss/Leica/Kowa zoom).

If you change scopes, tracking/manual mount, observing site, set of eyepieces give memorable viewing experience changes, too.

It is complicated and it makes choosing eyepieces fun :)

Tammy

• doctordub, CeleNoptic, Anthony Dente and 2 others like this

#57 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:00 PM

This setup gave me a memorable viewing experience of Jupiter & Saturn on Thursday night.

FC-100DF > Baader T2 1.8x GPC > Baader T2 Zeiss Prism > Carl Zeiss Binoviewer > TV 9 DeLite [148x magnification]

I could see the charcoal color of Callisto & Ganymede.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20210321_203434 9del.jpeg

Edited by rkelley8493, 31 July 2021 - 09:42 PM.

• doctordub, SandyHouTex, Kutno and 4 others like this

#58 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:52 PM

There are a number of factors that are relevant to getting the good planetary views. At the top of the list are seeing, aperture and optical quality.  For some of us, seeing can be very steady so the planetary detail at higher magnifications are not popping in and out with the seeing, they are just there.

I would turn it around and say that there is no substitute for steady seeing.  

Jon

I have to agree.  Most nights at my location the seeing ceases to be steady somewhere in the 100-130x range. Last night it was absolutely steady at 160x and I had perhaps the best planetary views I can recall.  That was with the 102mm f/11 and the 7mm APM XWA.  With ~9 elements that eyepiece is certainly not considered “planetary” but the high quality seeing was the dominant factor.  

• CeleNoptic, deepwoods1 and Anthony Dente like this

#59 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 July 2021 - 03:34 PM

I have to agree.  Most nights at my location the seeing ceases to be steady somewhere in the 100-130x range. Last night it was absolutely steady at 160x and I had perhaps the best planetary views I can recall.  That was with the 102mm f/11 and the 7mm APM XWA.  With ~9 elements that eyepiece is certainly not considered “planetary” but the high quality seeing was the dominant factor.  

I think we all agree that seeing is the dominant factor. However, what if on your night of excellent seeing you had used a better or higher quality planetary eyepiece?

Seeing will vary but the quality of your optics is fixed. Better optics will always be better and worse optics will always be worse, in any type of seeing.

Bob

• doctordub, SteveV and Voyager 3 like this

#60 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:05 PM

I think we all agree that seeing is the dominant factor. However, what if on your night of excellent seeing you had used a better or higher quality planetary eyepiece?

Seeing will vary but the quality of your optics is fixed. Better optics will always be better and worse optics will always be worse, in any type of seeing.

Bob

Well what is the better planetary eyepiece?  Supposedly it is the 3 and 4 element orthos etc.  So I would need a 7mm ortho to meet the “planetary” designation.

So lets think about that:

~Poor eye relief - which is uncomfortable and a distraction

~Small AFOV - which means more frequent recentering of the planet since I use manual alt-azimuth

~Possibly scattered light issues because for all the praise of orthos I’ve typically been disappointed with their control of scattered light and their contrast. That includes older University orthos, the HD orthos, and the currently available Japanese orthos that I’ve tried.

vs the 7mm APM XWA

~super comfortable eye relief

~large AFOV

~no issue with scattered light last night

I think it highly likely that I am not going to see more with a planetary ortho than I did last night with the 7mm APM.  I was able to relax with the comfortable view and did not have to adjust the slow motion controls every 2 seconds. 

At this point, with on axis viewing, I’m not convinced that low element count eyepieces are any better than high element count eyepieces.  For example, while I love the 4 element 32mm University Konig in my 102mm f/11 ED, there is no question that the 9 element 30mm APM UFF provides sharper star images in the central field.  

Obviously there are some rarefied options like the 5.1mm Pentax XO, Zeiss orthos that probably give you a detectable advantage if you don’t mind cramming the eye lense into your retina.  

Edited by russell23, 31 July 2021 - 04:06 PM.

#61 etsleds

etsleds

Viking 1

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:22 PM

These work well. Looking forward seeing how the two TOEs I picked up in Tokyo will they stack up against the Pentax XOs. You don’t necessarily have to cram your eye against the eyepiece for most of them except the Pentax XP 3.8mm and 14mm, planets don’t tend to fill the whole field of view anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

• Planetary EPs.jpg

Edited by etsleds, 31 July 2021 - 07:34 PM.

• BRCoz, doctordub, SteveV and 14 others like this

#62 jack45

jack45

Gemini

• Loc: Lacey WA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:28 PM

Excellent!!!!

(You the man)!

Clear Skies!

#63 etsleds

etsleds

Viking 1

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:56 PM

Like Tammy, I find a turret really useful for planetary viewing to adjust for view preference, subject, and seeing conditions.

Attached Thumbnails

• Planetary zooming.jpg

Edited by etsleds, 31 July 2021 - 05:30 PM.

• BRCoz, payner, george tatsis and 6 others like this

#64 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:09 PM

In terms of the flow of this thread, it would have to be my 3-6mm Tele Vue Nagler zoom.  I also have a 9mm Pocono Mountain Optics ortho and a 11mm Tele Vue Plössl.  However, I use my 4.5, 6, and 8mm Tele Vue Delos and 5 and 7mm Pentax SMC XWs far more often.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3-6mm Nagler Zoom IMG_7211 Processed Cropped Resized 900.jpg

• doctordub, John Huntley, Sarkikos and 9 others like this

#65 ThusSpokeZarathustra

ThusSpokeZarathustra

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 July 2021 - 09:52 PM

My Planetary Workhorse!

Stellarview 4.9 Eyepiece 1
Stellarview 4.9 Eyepiece 2
Stellarview 4.9 Eyepiece 3

I know its just a modified 5mm Orion Edge On Planetary Eyepiece, however, the field is flat and the contrast is great, to my limited experience. Though the eye-cup may yield itself toward fogging up the lens when pressed square against your face, at the very least, its a respectively humble beauty of an eyepiece.

• denis0007dl, Rick-T137, rkelley8493 and 1 other like this

#66 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Gemini

• Loc: Germany

Posted 01 August 2021 - 04:05 AM

These work well. Looking forward seeing how the two TOEs I picked up in Tokyo will they stack up against the Pentax XOs. You don’t necessarily have to cram your eye against the eyepiece for most of them except the Pentax XP 3.8mm and 14mm, planets don’t tend to fill the whole field of view anyway.

Andrew,

this is a very noble set of sets!

Thank you for sharing the pic,

JG

#67 aatt

aatt

Vanguard

• ***--
  • Loc: CT

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:37 PM

9mm and 12.5mm UO orthos
18mm Fujiyama ortho
  • SteveV, Sandy Swede and j.gardavsky like this

#68 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 04 August 2021 - 02:05 AM

My planetary collection

KwfGhiB.jpg

• doctordub, george tatsis, Kutno and 3 others like this

#69 epee

epee

Aurora

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:08 AM

med_gallery_20664_9054_3706237.jpg

I've since added the 7,5mm

• SteveV, russell23, Colin exraaf and 4 others like this

#70 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:09 AM

My planetary collection

KwfGhiB.jpg

I've seen the pics of your local wildlife....how's the view of Earth from your planet?wink.gif

Edited by csrlice12, 04 August 2021 - 10:09 AM.

• HellsKitchen and Marcus Roman like this

#71 Deadlake

Deadlake

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:40 AM

Some of my planetary EP's. Apparently four EP's are all you need, I've used up my allocation. 

Vixen HR Full Set

• doctordub, John Huntley, HellsKitchen and 6 others like this

#72 Marcus Roman

Marcus Roman

Messenger

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:02 AM

I’m leaving for vacations and I started wondering which planetary eyepieces to bring with me for my Takahashi FC60 f/8.3.

I have several: twoTMB supermono, Pentax XO, several Pentax SMC ortho, several Takahashi MC-ortho and Vixen HR2……but at the end I wound up with just two eyepieces which combine sharpness, light weight, decent afov for the scope and decent eye relief: Televue Nagler Zoom 2-4 (a great eyepiece!) and the new to me Nikon O-5 really an amazing flawless neutral color eyepiece!

Attached Thumbnails

• E1D1A91D-90D7-4303-9B46-22286F931F6F.jpeg

• doctordub, John Huntley, denis0007dl and 2 others like this

#73 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:48 AM

I've seen the pics of your local wildlife....how's the view of Earth from your planet?wink.gif

Looks kinda like this

https://youtu.be/YURO1WJjPNM

Edited by HellsKitchen, 05 August 2021 - 09:49 AM.

#74 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:52 AM

Some of my planetary EP's. Apparently four EP's are all you need, I've used up my allocation. 

Had any sessions with them?

#75 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:14 PM

Ok, this is one of my favorite planetary eyepieces, 34mm ZAO-I, it is an unusual beast and highly sought after by collectors who will pay a big price for it just to complete their ZAO eyepiece sets, it pretty much remains an unused showpiece in their Zeiss eyepiece box.
Not me, this eyepiece is one of my best Orthoscopics for planets, to be able to use it for planets one needs a quality long focus scope in order to obtain a decent image scale, with your typical F/6 or F/7 imaging optimized refractor this eyepiece would be pretty much useless, regardless of how many Barlows are stacked at the tail end of that scope.
The 34mm ZAO-I has a narrower field than the standard Ortho eyepieces which are usually about 45 degree, the 34mm has 40 degree field of view, pretty narrow and closer to a Monocentric in the overall feel. When it comes to planets from performance standpoint I would rate this eyepiece somewhere between an Ortho and a Monocentric.
I use the 34mm pair in Binoviewr+Glasspath on my TEC 200/20 Maksutov which has 4000mm native focal length. With 1.25 Glasspath I get 147x (operating @ F/25) and with 1.7 Glasspath I get 200x (operating @ F/34). At 200x Jupiter is at its optimum magnification in my 8” Mak in our area and really looks very impressive with the 34mm, with a decent contrast displaying all low contrast surface features. The true strength of this eyepiece is in its very low scatter, planets are etched against pitch black sky with very little sky glow surrounding planets bright disk.
For the Moon with the same Mak my preferred eyepiece is 24mm Brandon, it is semi wide with 53 degree field, and has the low scatter similar to Zeiss. In binoviewer with 1.25x Glasspath I get 208x (operating @ F/25) and at this focal length the image is crisp across the entire field.

Vahe

Attached Thumbnails

• ZAO34-a.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, BRCoz, doctordub and 8 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics