•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Celestron Ultima.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:26 AM

Managed to get my hands on a pair of the new Celestron Ultimas briefly the other day. The 8x42 model. Anyway I found them to be respectable for the price point they sell for in Canada. Fit and finish were good, all adjustments worked smoothly with no play or backlash, a large FOV but with some softening  on the outer edging, good coatings, built onto a metal chassis and the prisms seemed to be retained with not only the standard grey epoxy putty but a retaining cage on the prism top. 

They came with  the usual small cleaning cloth, better than average case and padded neck strap, the only thing that rang alarm bells for me were the fold down rubber eye cups, which  need to be down to use with glasses to take advantage of the 18mm eye relief. However the cups are fairly long and flexible though one wonders how they will stand up over time to constant bending?..

The other big question is the state of Celestrons QC, though some Celestron binos have arrived at my door fine, a good few have been returned due to poor operation of various parts and also alignment. Just wondering what the 10x50 is like? ,Dave.

#2 TomK1

TomK1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:45 AM

My two pair of Celestron binoculars ( similar to Ultima) are over 2 decades old and the rubber eyecups are still pliable.   Although the one pair which has lived solely in my cars over the decades has an eyecup which is slightly oval due to the strap pressing against it in the case ( and I suppose the temperature extremes).   Based on my experience with those two, I'll bet the 10x50 Ultima is pretty darn good for the $ (much better than my Steiner Wildlife compact 10.5x32 ... which is ok, but I'd never buy them again). 

Edited by TomK1, 28 July 2021 - 10:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics