•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tasco 1602 clock drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jrussell

jrussell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:13 AM

I finally found my old Tasco clock drive. I worked at a dept. store back in the 80's and like everyone else when Halley's comet made it's local visit they jumped on the telescope bandwagon. I really wanted to buy a new scope then, but had fallen away from the hobby for the most part. At any rate, after the surge of interest died, a lot of open accessories suddenly got "damaged" and needed to be thrown away (a common practice in retail). Although nothing as large as a telescope was headed to the dumpster, this clock drive was and somehow it missed getting thrown in and found it's way to my car instead. I've saved it all these years intending to one day get back into astronomy and now that day's arrived. It does work fortunately, but I have no instructions for it. It's pretty straightforward, but I wondered if anyone might be able to make sure I'm on the right track as far as mounting it. From pictures I've found online I know I should have it  against the drive gear from the other side. I put it on last night mainly to make sure it fit and the teeth would match. The mount I'm putting it on is a Celestron so I'm guessing the clock drive they have that was meant to be mounted is a little different. It looks like I need to find a way to extend the clutch out further so that it will actually reach the post on the drive body. Apart from that, is there anything that I seem to be missing here? Thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clock1.jpg
  • Clock2.jpg

• retroman2 likes this

#2 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2021 - 10:51 AM

A clock drive is usually tied to a particular mount. The worm gear ratios of the mount have to match the clock drive speed to track accurately. So, the clock drive might not work on your celestron mount.  You might want to reasearch that before you mod the drive.

Some drives have a knob for speed control, which allows them to work on various mounts, not sure if yours has one. A basic clock drive for the Celestron EQ2/EQ3 is about $30-$40.

Ask around in the classic Telescopes forum to find out what gear ratio/mounts your drive works with.

Edited by hcf, 28 July 2021 - 10:52 AM.

• retroman2 likes this

#3 jrussell

jrussell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:48 PM

Ah, that's something I hadn't considered. I do need to look into that, thanks.

#4 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 29 July 2021 - 07:42 PM

I bet thats a 1/10 RPM clock drive

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics