•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another portable setup question: Wide Field with Monochrome?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seanboon

seanboon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:10 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for all your input on the configurations I'm attempting to pull together for my upcoming trip.  Last night I was trying to see if I could find examples of people using a monochrome camera + EFW with wide field camera lenses.  In addition to bringing my ZS61 (assuming I can get that all to work), I was going to also consider bringing some Rokinon wide field lenses 14, 24mm, but I'm not finding examples of people using these with a monochrome camera and EFW and my thought is that given they are so wide that maybe stacking and integration frames across different filters just doesn't turn out well for some reason.   I was thinking of maybe getting an Rokinon 84mm / 1.4 lens that would give me more local length as an intermediate option between those wider lenses and the ZenithStar 61.   I do have what I need to attach the Rokinon lenses to the ASI294MM-Pro.

My final configuration would be to to just take my Nikon camera, but it's not Ha modified which is why I really want to try the ASI294MM-Pro.   

thanks,

Sean

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 11:37 AM

There are quite a few examples on Astrobin.  Here's one, Rokinon 135mm and a QSI583 camera/filterwheel:

https://www.astrobin.com/252915/

#3 seanboon

seanboon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:09 PM

There are quite a few examples on Astrobin.  Here's one, Rokinon 135mm and a QSI583 camera/filterwheel:

That's excellent.  I just ordered the Rokinon 135mm.   I have 14mm and 24mm too.  Those are the ones I was thinking might be more trouble.  I'll also search through Astrobin there too.

• OldManSky likes this

#4 seanboon

seanboon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:17 PM

I found one with the Rokinon 24mm https://www.astrobin.com/405837/G/.  Possibilities!

• calypsob likes this

#5 idclimber

idclimber

Surveyor 1

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:19 PM

Given that you have a D750 I would suggest looking at some old AIS lenses on Ebay. I am sure the Rokinon is nice,  but I would be surprised if it exceeds an old Nikkor 135mm f/2, 

#6 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:28 PM

Given that you have a D750 I would suggest looking at some old AIS lenses on Ebay. I am sure the Rokinon is nice,  but I would be surprised if it exceeds an old Nikkor 135mm f/2, 

The Rokinon is notoriously well corrected at F2. The only lenses that contend are Zeiss 135mm F2 and the Sigma 135 f1.8, in most tests I have reviewed the Rokinon/Samyang remains superior. It is an exceptional optical design. The lack of motor automated mechanics and glass fiber constructiona re what keep down the costs.

To the op, get some thin aluminum baader shim rings, the thickness of your filters can require adding sub millimeter spacing shims to get stars just right. 

Edited by calypsob, 28 July 2021 - 12:29 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics