•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dovetail shoe fastener screws

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TenkoFox

TenkoFox

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:16 PM

I recently got a Vixen dovetail shoe and noticed the fastener screw is not flush with the inner side wall. This is causing only part of the fastener screw tip to press against the rail as you can see in the photos below. Seems it would make it less secure and more easily damage the rail. I have two other dovetail shoes made by GSO and the screws are completely flush, so I'm wondering if this a manufacturing defect.

Should I contact Vixen to get a replacement shoe? Or is this common/intentional and I shouldn't be concerned with it?

Screenshot 2021-07-29 010014.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-29 010149.jpg

Edited by TenkoFox, 28 July 2021 - 12:20 PM.

#2 wizbang396

wizbang396

Mariner 2

• ****-

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:34 PM

Contact them, or add a spacer on the opposite side, which you shouldn't have to do.  In the meantime be careful if you use a spacer.

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 02:03 PM

I'm just throwing this out here for some engineering opinions.  What about grinding a uniform bevel on the tip of the bolt that is about the same angle as the manufacturing error?  This would mean the center of the bolt would do the holding instead of a small part of the edge.

#4 Andynator

Andynator

Ranger 4

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:19 PM

Judging from the number of gouged-up dovetail bars I've seen, I'd say it's pretty common 😉

I put a piece of UHMW tape on mine to let the screw tip "dig in" if it needs to.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics