•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dovetail position in Saddle adjuster (?)

Accessories DIY Equipment Mount
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KeplerKrater

KeplerKrater

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Robinson, Taylors, South Carolina

Posted 28 July 2021 - 12:20 PM

I saw a 'YouTube' video where a strong man demonstrated how 'portable' a Celestron C14 is. Besides lifting the mount & OTA w/o any noticeable strain; what caught my attention was near the end of the linked video (7:40/8:04).

https://www.youtube....h?v=FZukll_LGXI

It appears that there is a screw w/ knob thru a 'L'-bracket attached to the Celestron 'orange' dovetail w/ the end of the screw (bolt) aimed at the end of the saddle. It looks like this device would allow you to make small changes to the position of the heavily loaded dovetail for final declination balancing. In fact it looks like he might be using it but, he attaches the dovetail behind the scope, out of view.

Question: Am I on the right track? Is this device available commercially; or was it homemade??  I have a dual telescope (side x side) setup on 'ADM' saddles & dual plate which adds up in weight when placing on the mount's saddle. It is difficult to move the total optical assembly just a little bit for final dec-balancing. Any thoughts/feedback out there in CN-land will be much appreciated. Thanks...

#2 rl112871

rl112871

Explorer 1

• Loc: Kettering, Ohio

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:21 PM

Appears to be a bracket with a threaded hole accepting a male threaded knob. Judging by the placement, it appears to be an adjustment for balancing the OTA. Thread in and the tube moves forward. thread it out and you can move the tube back. Pretty nice setup.

• KeplerKrater likes this

#3 skaiser

skaiser

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:56 PM

I saw that youtube also. 

As a safety precaution , when I mounted my SCT 9.25 scope to a Celestron 17.25" long , Dovetail plate,  I mounted a right angle plate to the underside of the Dovetail toward the front of the scope.

That way if I loose control of the scope when sliding into the CGX mount, I know it can't slide all the way through and hit the ground.

I suppose I could add a threaded rod through the angle plate to allow fine positioning of the scope , but the 9.25 is easy enough to adjust by hand.

It only weighs about 20lbs compared to the 60  lbs , 14" scope.

• KeplerKrater and rl112871 like this

#4 KeplerKrater

KeplerKrater

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Robinson, Taylors, South Carolina

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:57 PM

I contacted the man who posted the video! He responded to my questions & sent me a link (originally in German). The following is the 'Youtube' conversation:

Kepler R. Tumler:
Hi Chris. I noticed near the end of your video something attached to the 'orange' dovetail of the C14  (7:45/8:04). The device appears to consist of a threaded screw/bolt with knob/handle, that threads thru a 'L' bracket attached to the 'orange' Celestron dovetail. It would seem the bolt can be pushed against the mount's saddle to slide the dovetail for micro-balancing the declination-axis while heavily loaded. Is this correct? If so, did you make it yourself, or is it commercially available??  P.S. Great video.

Chris:

I built that myself.
The clamping of the Dovetail is pretty unsafe. Already 2 times the OTA is slipping out, I had much luck every time that nothing bad happened. That's why I built 2 brackets (the other one can not see on the video) so that the OTA is secured in both directions. In addition, I have implemented adjusting screws to easily balance the OTA. This adjustment are not necessary, but the brackets absolutely! Here you can find some pictures about: https://forum.astron...9/#post-1567998

The attachments are the pics he referred to. My questions answered, hurray smile.gif  

P.S. I use the 1/4" screws w/ knobs that came w/ my 'ADM' dovetails, but the adjusting function of the bolts for micro dec-balancing looks interesting...

Attached Thumbnails

• C14 dovetail-mod-01.jpg
  • C14 dovetail-mod-02.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, DIY, Equipment, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics