•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oops! Some good stuff and a mistake.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:11 PM

I've decided to "up my game" and go after a more difficult target.  After some research, I decided on Sh2-129 / OU4:  The Flying Bat Nebula / Squid Nebula.  I know it's a very dim target and it's going to require a lot of patience, a LOT of integration time and it will definitely stretch my capabilities in Pixinsight.

I'm excited to get started!!!

Last night, I got everything ready for imaging.  I got my sequence created in NINA after importing the coordinates from Stellarium.  I had everything set to autofocus when necessary and to re-center after drift.  I had good views of the sky and a good plan to capture images from 10:30pm until 4:30am.

The sequence was running beautifully.  My guiding was absolutely wonderful.  Most of the evening I had been guiding at ~0.5" RMS with almost perfectly matched RA and DEC error.  The stars were round and tight.  My HFR statistics from NINA were looking really good.  When I closed my laptop for the evening my reported RMS was down to 0.35".  This was just about the best guiding I've ever had.

I woke up this morning.  The meridian flip happened flawlessly over night (~2:00am) and my storage drive was full of data.  I had 30 images each of narrowband data from my target.

I ran them all through a quick Blink session, and every darn one of them looked great!

I KNOW I didn't have enough exposure to make out  detail, but I decided to do a quick integration of the Ha data to see what I had.    The pre-processing went flawlessly, the calibration frames worked amazing.  I stacked the image, ran a quick DBE and thought, "Wow, this is probably the best raw data I've ever collected!"

Then I looked a little closer...........

I used my EdgeHD 9.25 to capture the images operating at its native f/10; 2,350mm of focal length.  The data capture is FANTASTIC!!  It's amazing......  It's also WAY TOO SMALL OF A FOV!!!  

There is no way I can create the image I want with this data.  The image capture went AMAZING, and it was one of those nights I dream about.  But it was all for naught.

I'll try again tonight with my 714mm triplet.  But the forecast for the conditions is not as good as last night.

Oh well, this is how I learn.

*shrug.

• brlasy1 likes this

#2 brlasy1

brlasy1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Texas

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:19 PM

At least you didn't leave the Bahtinov mask on all night...

• David Boulanger likes this

#3 Astrolamb

Astrolamb

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:23 PM

Time to start working on a mosaic instead! Sounds like you got a great start to one panel... lol 

#4 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

I have before!!!

Time to start working on a mosaic instead! Sounds like you got a great start to one panel... lol 

Actually, that's a solution I hadn't considered.  I'm expecting to need a minimum of ~7 hours of exposure per band.  Based on my FOV I'll probably need 6 panels for a mosaic.  7x3x6=126 hours of exposure.  Gulp...........

I think I'll switch to a different OTA. 

• brlasy1 and Astrolamb like this

#5 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:24 PM

With an APS-c sensor, you need 300-400mm fl. It's a big target.

• limeyx likes this

#6 KungFood

KungFood

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Tx

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:37 PM

I once drove from Dallas to the McAllen to visit high school friends. 11 hour drive, and forgot my bags and all my clothes in Dallas.

I also once left a bahtinov mask on all night....and that was worse than the long drive.

• brlasy1 and Astrolamb like this

#7 sbharrat

sbharrat

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:42 PM

Last night, I got everything ready for imaging.  I got my sequence created in NINA after importing the coordinates from Stellarium.  I had everything set to autofocus when necessary and to re-center after drift.  I had good views of the sky and a good plan to capture images from 10:30pm until 4:30am.

I used my EdgeHD 9.25 to capture the images operating at its native f/10; 2,350mm of focal length.  The data capture is FANTASTIC!!  It's amazing......  It's also WAY TOO SMALL OF A FOV!!!

Yikes.... As FYI, since you are using NINA, if you popped into Framing assistant, it would show you exactly what you will be capturing for your scope and camera at that RA/DEC. This is also invaluable if you want to tweak the framing a bit (which I suppose is why they call it the Framing Assistant grin.gif )

• John O'Grady, limeyx and dcm_guitar like this

#8 dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:29 AM

Yikes.... As FYI, since you are using NINA, if you popped into Framing assistant, it would show you exactly what you will be capturing for your scope and camera at that RA/DEC. This is also invaluable if you want to tweak the framing a bit (which I suppose is why they call it the Framing Assistant grin.gif )

I used the framing assistant in NINA.  However, none of the images from the sky catalogs I used had the squid portion of the nebula in the image.  Even though I used the framing assistant, it didn't show me how much of the squid I would get.

I SHOULD have looked closely at the framing assistant pic and then at online images that DO include the squid and made some conclusions about how much squid I would get based on the stars I could see.  I didn't do this until after I looked at my first stack of Ha data.

In this case the framing assistant wasn't helpful because the very dim object I wanted centered in my image was not included in any of the framing assistant images I downloaded.  Oh well.....

I used Stellarium framing with my 102mm f7 triplet as the telescope.  Unfortunately, Stellarium also does not include the Flying Bat / Squid nebula picture.  I had to look at the relative placement of stars compared to astrobin images that show the object I want to capture.  Using my 102T and a full frame camera I can get the whole image in my FOV.  I have another OTA with 81mm of aperture and 382mm of focal length (f/4.7).  Given how dim and large this object is, that's really my best available tool, but I don't have an autofocuser for this OTA.

#9 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 29 July 2021 - 11:20 AM

I did the exact thing last year with my Celestron 8SE and the Rosette Nebula which was one of my first targets to image with the setup.. After hours of imaging I processed it and only got a zoomed in view of the right hand side of the core.. Disappointment didn't even start to explain my feelings..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics