•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

That wall in the backyard...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

“The Wall” is the nickname of the portion of the North America nebula roughly corresponding to the “Central America” region. It is a region of intense star formation, glowing in the reds and purple hues of hydrogen and oxygen.

I started imaging this from my suburban backyard as a test, but the subs had good signal so I kept on taking subs. In three nights I accumulated 12 hours’ worth of light subs, some of them unfortunately with moonlight, which once integrated and processed gave me the image I’m posting here.

Comments and critique are very welcome. All the acquisition details and high-resolution imagery are available on Astrobin at https://www.astrobin.com/3uiqg8/

Thanks,

Francesco

51342675015_0f0fb8f5ab_h_d.jpg

get.jpg?insecure

Edited by fmeschia, 29 July 2021 - 12:12 AM.

• F.Meiresonne, Jim Thommes, StephenW and 24 others like this

#2 MLM

MLM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Silver Spring MD USA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:50 PM

No critique - lovely image - but a question. Did you leave the telescope in place in your backyard or set it up every night. If you did the latter, how do you align on subsequent nights to capture the same area, and how do you merge data from several nights of observation.

The 'experts' will probably know this, but for the rest of us, I'm eager to learn

#3 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

No critique - lovely image - but a question. Did you leave the telescope in place in your backyard or set it up every night. If you did the latter, how do you align on subsequent nights to capture the same area, and how do you merge data from several nights of observation.

The 'experts' will probably know this, but for the rest of us, I'm eager to learn

Thanks! I do leave the telescope in place (under a Telegizmos 365 cover) most of the time, but sometimes I have to take down the setup. Going back to the same area is not really a problem if you use an acquisition program that does plate solving: it takes you back to the same spot and in the same orientation.
Once you have the light subs, you can load them all into PixInsight’s ImageIntegration process and it’ll do the trick. I understand there’s a new tool that helps normalize the gradients across images captured on different nights, but I haven’t used it yet.

• limeyx and Woodsx like this

#4 md11spotter98

md11spotter98

Mariner 2

• Loc: Coral Springs, FL

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:14 PM

Beautiful image!

#5 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 29 July 2021 - 08:57 PM

Not to be pedantic - well only a bit - Mexico is part of North America, not Central America. ‘The Wall’ is the coast of Mexico along the (ahem) Gulf of Mexico.
:-)

Great resolution on your photo, btw. Nice image.

Edited by KLWalsh, 29 July 2021 - 08:57 PM.

#6 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:26 PM

Not to be pedantic - well only a bit - Mexico is part of North America, not Central America. ‘The Wall’ is the coast of Mexico along the (ahem) Gulf of Mexico.
:-)

Great resolution on your photo, btw. Nice image.

Ah, that's true – thanks!

#7 MikeK314

MikeK314

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:15 PM

‘The Wall’ is the coast of Mexico along the (ahem) Gulf of Mexico.

Um...no.  'The Wall' is the coast of Mexico on the Pacific Ocean side.

• md11spotter98 likes this

#8 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 30 July 2021 - 07:23 PM

Cool image Francesco. You don't see many images of this region done in broadband RGB - most are various NB versions. Well done on capture and process.

#9 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:32 PM

Cool image Francesco. You don't see many images of this region done in broadband RGB - most are various NB versions. Well done on capture and process.

That’s true! And yet, the region has beautiful colors even in broadband. Thanks for the appreciation!

#10 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:16 AM

Um...no. 'The Wall' is the coast of Mexico on the Pacific Ocean side.

Yes,I guess that’s technically a bit more correct.
Of course, I was referring to the entire ‘Mexico’ feature which takes its shape from the dark region that looks like the Gulf.
If you really wanted to be pedantic, you’d say ‘The Wall’ is along the ‘Gulf of California’ / ‘Sea of Cortez’, rather than the Pacific Ocean. :-)

#11 MikeK314

MikeK314

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:45 PM

If you really wanted to be pedantic, you’d say ‘The Wall’ is along the ‘Gulf of California’ / ‘Sea of Cortez’, rather than the Pacific Ocean. :-)

That's also incorrect.  If you overlay a widefield image of NGC 7000 on a map (of course there is some inexactitude here, but it can be done) you'll see that essentially all of the Wall is south of the Gulf of California / Sea of Cortez, and so borders the Pacific.  Your objection to "Central America" is also unfounded, as the bright lower-right end of the wall reaches to approximately Honduras.

• md11spotter98 likes this

#12 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 31 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

Magnificent! What a beautiful image. Thanks for sharing.

#13 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 July 2021 - 06:48 PM

Magnificent! What a beautiful image. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics