•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomy/Astrophotography in Tennessee?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Acer

Acer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 28 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

Howdy everyone.

Well, I am thinking of moving from Colorado to Tennessee.  

Lots of reasons why, one of them being the significant cost of living difference.  Another being, I can sell my home here and buy another one there on property outright with the price homes here are selling for.

THe reason I picket Tennessee is that I have family there.

Anyway, how is the sky there for astronomy/astrophotography?  Is the seeing usually good, or is there a lot of turbulence?  How is the transparency? 

Thanks for the help!

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:11 PM

The Clear Dark Sky's Tennessee map and list of astronomical viewing sites is indicative of what to expect.  

#3 bthrel

bthrel

Ranger 4

• Loc: Linden TN

Posted 28 July 2021 - 08:43 PM

The jetstream lingers here a lot so seeing is usually just average but transparency is usually average to above average. Around Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville light pollution is pretty bad, in the rural areas like where I am it's fairly dark ( avg 21.3 on my SQM-L here). Nashville has a pretty active club that meets in a dark site on the Natchez trace near Columbia once a month. PM me if you want details on my area and I have a good friend thats a realtor that might be of use in you are interested. 

Edited by bthrel, 28 July 2021 - 08:45 PM.

#4 nso123

nso123

Lift Off

• Loc: Dunlap, TN

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:05 AM

What part of Tennessee are you considering?  I am in a rural area outside of Chattanooga and have very nice skies fairly regularly. 

#5 Acer

Acer

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:54 PM

Thanks everyone!

Lift Off, probably around the Murfreesboro area, my sister and her family live there and I have cousins that live in Franklin.  I'd like to be a little more east myself and get more into the mountains. 

#6 TNmike

TNmike

Ranger 4

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 30 July 2021 - 04:38 PM

I'm 45 minutes SW of Knoxville and the humidity is unreal. But it could be worse. In any case I would be prepared for lesser conditions than what you are used to.

#7 jalbrightx

jalbrightx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver CO

Posted 02 August 2021 - 09:23 PM

I grew up outside Jackson TN - there are moderately dark skies outside the major cities. I think you'll find dark skies within an hour of Murfreesboro, either east or west. Coming from CO, humidity and bugs will be major annoyances. But there are effective countermeasures for both.

#8 James Paulson

James Paulson

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:34 AM

I lived in the general area for a while. Here is my advice.

Be ready for humidity. Dew straps and dew controllers and dew shields are your best friend.

There are lots of amateurs in Tennessee and lots of great observing groups. State parks are a great place to visit and do astronomy.

You will enjoy it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics