•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Processing flats with light files in SharpCap 3.2

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 halebopp

halebopp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 July 2021 - 05:06 PM

I've been imaging actively for about 2 years now but have never learned to do flats until recently. I use SharpCap 3.2 to do my stacking. My light frames are png files shot with the gain set to 350. A video I watched on YouTube said to shoot the flats as fits files and reduce any gain setting to zero (so I did) but when I put the lights and the flats into SharpCap, SharpCap could not process the two together due to incompatibility issues. Do I need to shoot the flats in the same format that my light frames are and with the same gain?

Also, when doing LGRB do I need to shoot flats for L and also each color? I can't find any info to guide me on this. Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated!  smile.gif

#2 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 28 July 2021 - 06:33 PM

Yes. Shot Flats at the same Gain, same focus, and same camera angle as the Lights. Set the exposure time to get the brightness/ADU value you want for the flats. Say 25000/30000.

For Flat Darks, cover the scope/camera, keep same gain and shoot at the quickest exposure your camera will do reliably.

If your filters are really clean, you could probably get away with just shooting the L filter. But you'll probably get better results if you shoot all the filters.

Once you get setup, it doesn't take that much time.

I just noticed that your lights are PNG files, so don't know if the above is correct.

Edited by f430, 28 July 2021 - 06:34 PM.

#3 halebopp

halebopp

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 July 2021 - 05:02 PM

Ok thanks Viking. I'll reshoot the flats in png format and with the same gain as you mentioned. Everything else on the camera and scope will be the same as when I shot the lights. What about the color my flats produced? As I mentioned previously, my flats produced a very light green color image. Is that ok for a color camera or else what would be considered normal? I believe that learning how to shoot flats properly will be the single best thing I can do to improve a lot of my images.

Thanks for the info on shooting flats for LGRB too. I know how to shoot darks as I've been doing that for quite some time so no problem with that.

If anyone else can contribute to this topic I sure would appreciate it! I want to be the best that I can be even if it does take more time!  :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics